10 Things that are True when you Suck at Texting

It may be 2016 and you might not be able to exist in the world without a cell phone, but we all still have that one friend that just can’t grasp the concept of proper texting etiquette.

1. You can’t keep read receipts on

Sometimes it will be days—even weeks—before you remember to respond. No, you’re not trying to be rude, you just have a bad habit of not responding. You see the messages and then just forget to respond. Classic.

2. Receiving a double text isn’t anything new

Because of #1, you are prone to getting double texted more than you like. And sometimes, you are lucky enough to open your phone to 36 of the same texts from the same person.

3. You never pay attention to what you send

For all you know, you could be texting a conversation in emojis instead of actually typing legible words.

4. You can never use “k” as a sassy response

Going off of #3, “k” will automatically correct to “l” when you type it. So you’re stuck sending ls instead of ks, completely ruining the snarky vibe you were so deeply trying to go for.

5. Your friends always ask if you are drunk

Your texts somehow always seem to resemble those of a drunk texter. It may be 2 p.m. on a Wednesday, but you still somehow manage to get the classic, “Are you drunk texting us right now?” from your friends.

6. You always forget to press “send”

You’re finally on top of actually responding to someone on time and you have the message typed up, but you forget to send it. This means your friend on the other end is conveniently left seeing those lovely three gray dots. Best of all, people think you are actually ignoring them. You might as well not even respond.

Courtesy: Teenager Posts

7. You most likely have been removed from more group chats than you know

The whole point of a group message is to communicate as a group. If you aren’t providing your input when everyone else is, you might just get the boot.

8. “Group Me” is just a sad conglomeration of unread messages

*Decides to finally check group me*

*Has been added to 6 new groups*

*Has over 300 unread messages*

*Proceeds to delete app*

9. You are always 3 updates behind

News flash! iOS10 is here, equipped with the ability to chose who you send read receipts to as well as tons of new emojis. Being behind on updates means not being able to see the emojis appear in your messages, which  leads to A LOT of misinterpretations.

10. You would much rather call the person than send a really long text

A long text makes your thumbs sore. Why not just call the person, or better, talk to them face to face?

We can’t all be good at texting. But it is 2016, iOS10 is a real thing, and texting is the now. Get with it!

Claire Georgiadis is currently a sophomore at Florida State double-majoring in Editing, Writing and Media and Communications. She is a Pilates instructor, avid health nut, as well as a dancer. You can find her at the nearest coffee shop, in a corner with a good book and an almond milk latte.
Alex is native to Miami, Florida but currently resides in Tallahassee. She's a Senior at Florida State double majoring in Editing, Writing and Media and Media Communications.