sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

10 Halloween Costumes That Shouldn’t Exist

It’s that time of year again, ladies! Halloween is right around the corner, which means it is time to start planning out a costume that will top last year’s. While Halloween is one of the few days of the year that allows dressing inappropriately, it is very important to be costume conscious. No matter which style direction you take – whether it be a sexy, spooky or just silly costume, there are certain lines which should not be crossed. That being said, some people do not pay attention to the unspoken rules of Halloween costumes. Costumes that appropriate culture or are excessively sexual in a distasteful manner should be burned, not bought. Even with the growth in costume awareness, the costume companies seem to be making them worse and worse every year. So, to give you an idea of what to avoid, or to just give you a good laugh at how ignorant and cringy people can be, here are some of the worst and most offensive costumes on the market this year.

1. Adult Snake Charmer Costume: The only thing creepier than this costume’s reptilian penis is the model’s smile.

Courtesy: Newegg

2. Giant Boob Costume: Just… Why is this a thing?

Courtesy: Amazon

Just… Why is this a thing? Look, I’m totally for #FreeTheNipple if that’s your thing but a) this is a MALE costume trying (and miserably failing) to make boobs a joke and b) think of the logistics of this costume at a party. How are you going to move around in this, bud?

3. Adult Droopers Costume: Again, why is this a thing? It’s disturbing, not funny.

Courtesy: Spirit Halloween

4. Tampon Costume: Yes, because tampons – a necessity for women – are so funny. 

Courtesy: Costumeish

Feminine Hygiene is no joke. Notice the pink mask he is wearing? It’s to cover his shame (or identity). No one is going to want to dance with a giant tampon, let’s be real.

5. Genie in the Lamp Costume: The thing he is trying to accomplish definitely won’t happen in this costume.

Courtesy: Find Costume

6. Sexy Ebola Costume: The name should be enough reason as to why this SHOULD NOT exist.

Courtesy: Costumeish

7. Native American Seductress Costume: Nothing is sexy about appropriating a culture.

Courtesy: Google Express 

This rule applies to any costume that deals with other cultures or stereotypes such as Geisha, Voodoo, Gypsy, etc. If you are unsure or questioning your costume, better be safe than sorry!

8. Deluxe Sexy Goldfish: Goldfish just should not ever be sexy. Period.

Courtesy: eBay

9. Adult Condom Costume: You won’t be needing one tonight, buddy.

Courtesy: Amazon

10. Couples Plug Costume: An unoriginal and disgusting pun in the form of a couple’s costume. But hey, at least they’re happy.

Courtesy: Amazon

These are just a few of the ignorant and annoying costumes out there this upcoming Halloween. Please try to avoid wearing them this year, or any other year. There are plenty of other ways to express your humor. While it is acceptable on Halloween to be a bit more risqué and a bit more outlandish and silly it is also important to be responsible and respectful. There are plenty of ways to express yourself on Halloween, so find one that is not controversial!

Rebecca is a junior at FSU majoring in creative writing. She enjoys reading novels until midnight (okay, maybe 2:00 AM), binge-watching shows on Netflix, and hiking in the mountains of North Carolina.
Her Campus at Florida State University.