books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

10 Essential Items You Need in Your Backpack

We are all college students here, and if you don’t have a car you are more than likely living out of your backpack, like me. Between four classes, a job, a couple of extra-curricular activities, going to your friends to get ready to go out or even heading over to Stroz to study, you are constantly on the go. Sometimes the hell weeks are so stressful that you don’t have time to go home to grab things. That’s why it’s important to keep all of the essentials you need right in your backpack. I went around and asked Florida State students what things they carry in their backpacks and this is the list I developed. Here for you are 10 essentials a student on the go should have in their backpack:

1. Snacks

If you are a human being, you are always eating. The first thing I place in my backpack at the beginning of the day before I head to class is snacks. Whether it’s a bag of trail mix, a little to-go container of peanut butter or even a Hershey’s candy bar, you can bet that if you open my backpack you will see some form of food. Snacks are a MUST, especially for avid food lovers or people that just like to munch when they are walking to class, laying on Landis Green or studying in Strozier.

Courtesy: Alive Campus

2. Water Bottle

Hydrate or die. Having water every day is very important, especially if you are constantly moving. In the hot summer days of Florida, you readers understand how important water is. Making sure you have water on you will enable you feel good and refreshed all day.

Courtesy: ecouterre

3. Laptop/Charger

Every student today needs a computer. I remember when my computer broke and I didn’t have one for about a month; I felt helpless constantly rushing to and from the library waiting for open computers. You use your laptop to view PowerPoints for classes you skipped, to type up papers that you procrastinated on and even to watch funny BuzzFeed videos. Your laptop is the one thing you ALWAYS catch yourself having on hand. And with it should always come your charger because as amazing as technology is, it always seems to die.

Courtesy: electronicways

4. Writing Utensils/Journal

Of course, you are going to need a notebook as well as pens or pencils to take notes in class. You want to avoid being that person in class that asks random people for a writing utensil and then forgets to return it. Sure you can use your laptop for notes, but if you prefer the old fashioned method of writing by hand, be sure to pack your notebook.

Courtesy: Tumblr

5. Headphones

Headphones or ear buds are a necessity. Whether you’re studying or just chilling in between classes, it’s nice to have background music to jam out to.

Courtesy: Gadgets360

6. Hygiene Products

In the small pocket of my bag, I typically carry a travel size deodorant for those sweaty pits after walking around in the heat. Also, ever since I got my braces I got into the habit of carrying a travel size toothbrush, which comes in handy after those all-nighters in Strozier.

Courtesy: Jersey Shore FCU

7. Makeup

This is recommended because I tend to touch up my makeup throughout the day. There is nothing more wonderful than when your makeup looks fresh all day, am I right? Additionally, unless you don’t mind just using your phone as a mirror (the front camera was invented for a reason), pack a compact mirror to make those touch-ups easier.

Courtesy: lovetoknow

8. Wallet

Yes, a wallet should be an essential for everyone. Having your wallet means you have money (even though it may only be five dollars). Because of that broke college life, I totally understand that it’s truly a struggle. But having your wallet on hand means you can treat yourself to some food from that Chick-fil-A you pass every day while crossing Landis.

Courtesy: Fallindesign

9. Gum

If you’re not like me and you don’t carry a toothbrush, I always recommend gum. Be very secretive about having gum though because as you have learned from previous years in school, your gum will be gone in record-breaking time once one person finds out that you have some. Everyone will be your best friend when they want that piece of gum.

Courtesy: Odyssey

10. Lip Balm

This is the final essential to have in your backpack. This is for the colder days that will soon be upon us. I typically use the EOS eggs but any form of lip balm works. It helps to moisten your lips and keep them soft.

Courtesy: Thirteen

Her Campus at Florida State University.