10 Activities You Must Do This Summer

Summer is quickly approaching and for the majority of us that means three whole months of free time. Therefore, we must make the most of it! A lot of the time I find myself getting bored without school (I know…weird), but I have found a few fun activities that make the time more bearable. In fact, everyone should try to take part in the following activities this summer!

Everyone knows going to the beach is a must, and I admit that tanning is one of the best activities at the beach. Sometimes it’s good to let your inner child come out, so one thing that you must do this summer is build a sandcastle! Get your friends together and come with a name and a story for your castle. You will be surprised at how creative you and your friends can get and at how much fun you will all have.

Grab that book you’ve been meaning to read but haven’t had the chance to yet. School is not an excuse anymore! Just read and relax. Recommended: Stories I Only Tell Friends: An Autobiography by Rob Lowe.

You should also travel somewhere just to eat something. I don’t care if you want to travel to the next town and try some of the local cuisine or if you want to travel to Chicago for some of their famous deep dish pizza (recommended: Lou Malnati’s). Either way, get your butt in the car or on a plane and go!

Eat a meal outside with your friends. Most of you probably already do this, but I’m here to remind you to do this again! Sometimes the simplest of things turn out to be the best. While you spend a relaxing meal out in the sun with your friends, try playing a game like truth to make it more interesting. It doesn’t hurt to follow it up with a little bonfire either. 

Try a new recipe. It doesn’t matter if it’s salty or sweet. Just try something and bring it to that meal you have outside with your friends! You may end up loving it so much that it becomes a staple in your kitchen. I recommend these oven fajitas: http://www.budgetbytes.com/2013/02/oven-fajitas/.

Scour Pinterest for a DIY project! It doesn’t have to be complicated. It could be as easy and fun as designing a bulletin board for you room back at school. Make it fun by stapling a patterned cloth to the board.

Experiment with your style. As sad as it is to admit, we aren’t going to be young forever. Now is the time to try out different styles and fashion trends, and we suggest wearing a floppy sun hat. People are usually afraid that they can’t pull it off, but I bet that you can!

Have you ever wanted to learn how to knit? Make jewelry? Cook? Graphic design? If you have, summer is the time to put that into action. Sign up for a class or watch YouTube videos to learn something new!

Grow a garden. It doesn’t have to be elaborate, especially if you don’t have the space. Even buying a single pot to plant some beautiful flowers in can be fun. Surrounding yourself with unique and colorful flowers will make you happy. If that’s too much work, just buy yourself some flowers!

You may not live in the same town or city as your friends from school so it’s a good idea to keep in touch somehow. Be old-fashioned and send letters back and forth with your friends. You will all be happy to have these memories recorded years later.

If you can do just one of these things this summer, you’ll be sure to have fun. Don’t forget to document all of it in journal or on Instagram! Have a fabulous summer, ladies. 

Her Campus at Florida State University.