Messer Crowned in 2011

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Franklin chapter.

Every year Franklin College students nominate and crown their Homecoming King. This year Jack Messer, junior, took the crown.

Her Campus: Who nominated you for Homecoming Court?
Jack Messer: Kappa Delta Rho and Delta Delta Delta

HC: What did you think about being nominated for court?
JM: I was surprised.  I didn’t expect to be nominated because I am currently a junior. I was crossing my fingers and I was really excited and I did get on [the court].

HC: Were you excited or nervous about Homecoming Court?
JM: I was excited about Homecoming in general [and] when I found out about court I was excited. It was cool that I got to go out in front of all the fans at the football game. I wasn’t nervous about winning, I was just glad to be involved. 

HC: Had you ever been nominated for anything like Court before?
JM: Never, ever.  Not even in high school. That was why I was so excited about being on Court because I had never had this kind of experience before. I thought college would be more competitive for Homecoming Court and would be made up of past high school Homecoming kings and queens.

HC: Did you think you were going to win?
JM: I never thought I would win.  My friends told me I would definitely win but I didn’t believe them because I was a junior and typically seniors win Homecoming King.

HC: Were you happy when you won?
JM: I was happy and surprised when I heard my name called for Homecoming King.  I couldn’t stop smiling.  I just kept smiling!  My family was there to see me and later my aunt told me I was shaking when I hugged her. I saw my mom jumping up and down while snapping pictures of me in my crown and sash.
Winning Homecoming King at a football game against Manchester College was very special. I am originally from Manchester, Indiana and my dad is currently a professor at the college.  I saw a lot of my old friends at the game and they all congratulated me.  [It was] kind of like the best win ever.

HC: If you were to win Mr. America, what would you do with your title?
JM: I would want to help stop bullying in schools.

HC: If you had a platform to give, what would it be?
JM: Iwould want to create scholarships for students who are putting themselves through college, because these students need a way to help themselves pay for an education. 

HC: Who do you want to follow in your foot steps as FC Homecoming king?
JM: It would be cool if a KDR, like myself, won or if someone who didn’t think he was going to win won again, but the winner is up to the campus.

Kati Graber is a junior at Franklin College and is pursuing a Journalism/Public Realations major with a minor in sociology. She is very excited to be one of the two co-founders of Her Campus Franklin College! Kati is a member of the Indiana Alpha chapter of Pi Beta Phi and is also part of the school's student entertainment board. When she manages to find free time she often spends it hanging out with her sisters, shopping or reading a good book.