This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

There is no place like home. I didn’t know how true that statement was until I moved to college. I thought that I would never miss being at home and having to listen to my parents, but I was so wrong. My freshman year, I had a lot of roommate problems and I had to move three times! So, for this year I decided the best thing I could do was get a single, and so I did.

At first, I actually loved it; I was able to do whatever I wanted and not have to worry about another person, like it it or not. I had my boyfriend and friends over all the time and I was actually doing really well. Once winter break came, I realized that I was missing a lot that was going on at home. I wasn’t seeing my little cousins, parents, and grandparents as much as I was used to and I realized how much I missed them.

Going back to college after that, I became very depressed, and all I could think about was how badly I wanted to go home. I cried almost every night and I stopped doing the things on campus that I loved. Once the date for housing applications came around, I found myself not really wanting to fill it out. I felt very anxious and was not looking forward to living by myself again.

I talked to my parents and I decided that the best thing I could do was commute next year. I can still do all of the things that I love on campus and be home with my family. I will miss the independence I felt when I was on my own, but I can still be independent while living at home. It’s okay to commute; you can still be apart of everything that school has to offer and enjoy your own home, because there is no place like it. 

Adriana Vaughan

Framingham '22

I'm in love with makeup and dogs.