What it’s like to be a Christian at a Public University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

I would say being a Christian at a public university obviously hits home for me and has been weighing upon my heart recently. After an incredible summer of Jesus and ministry without a care but to focus on my walk with God, returning to school has been a new challenge. I wish I could say that it is easy to put God first and to balance my school and job with my time with God, but that’s not the case. There is an unspoken pressure put on myself whether it is coming from myself, or from others. I can feel its weight. The pressure to pursue God and make friends; to surround yourself with other Christians who can sharpen and build one another in the midst of what seems like a sea of immature young adults, who care about partying and the next big celebrity scandal. To find other individuals who have the same belief and intense passion for the King of kings. I need someone next to me with the same fire I feel before I burn out. I never want to burn out but I feel the enemy trying to snuff out my fire.

I feel exhausted. Physically, mentally, emotionally, and worst of all spiritually. I don’t feel like myself and feel completely drained of who I am. How did I fall so far so fast? I can put my finger on it and I know how to fix it. I need Jesus. It is a physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual need that only he can meet! I need to be in constant conversation with Him. I need to be going deeper in His word! The enemy tries to overwhelm and keep my attention on school with: clubs, homework, work, tutoring, e-board for this, meeting up with friends, lying in bed watching Netflix, and a million others things that aren’t focused on God. No wonder the moment my head hits my pillow I feel drained and have no desire to wake up. How can you be expected to be focused and ready for the day when you try to do it all on your own?! Start the day in prayer and in the word! Seriously, make it a habit. The time you lose on sleep is more worth it throughout the day when you are actually prepared for the day ahead spiritually and mentally. You can’t expect Him to speak to you while you’re fast asleep when it is time to sit and talk with Him. Shine bright and never go out. Be the light that others need to see. Be what your school is missing and needs to see! Do those things you had set your heart on! Go on prayer walks! Devote a binder to scripture and Christian quotes that you love! Set up the wall with a ton of scriptures to remind you of his goodness! The only one holding you back is you and your doubt. He has so much for you here this year. You can’t quit now! Whether this post is for others or me, but I do know what I need to do and be at my school. College is about being you and embracing it, so don’t hold back any aspect of yourself, the right people will be around you when you let the love of God shine through.

Sophomore; Accounting Major; Dance Team; Christian Fellowship; Her Campus; Peer Mentor; Whale Enthusiast