Tips For Surviving The ‘Boring’ Class

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

There are times where we just wake up in the morning (or afternoon, if you’re one of those people) and find it a struggle to get going to class. Occasionally, there are those courses that no matter what the time of day, the content or the way it is presented just makes the class difficult to attend and get through. Well, we know the struggle. Here are some tips to get through those classes that just make you say “No”!

1. Plan Ahead

Multitasking is a gift if you have the ability to. When a class is boring, and you need something else to occupy yourself when it seems that nothing else will get you through, use the time to plan. Whether it is your assignments for that specific course, the rest of your day, or even your week, using the time to be productive will make it easier to get by.

1. Trick Yourself

Even though a class is boring, it is still important to get the information to do the work and pass. Sometimes doing something unrelated that doesn’t use the same brain areas helps you stay attentive and listening, but prevents the sleepy struggle. Some students will bring Sudoku puzzles, word searches, coloring pages, or just doodle in their notebooks. To a professor it may look as if you are not paying attention, but getting that focus to stay awake will get you there enough to still be able to answer a question when they ask you, and usually they will then be very impressed!

1. Bring Snacks

You don’t need a whole gourmet meal, but getting energy and nutrition is very important. Most professors won’t mind if you bring a beverage, sandwich, or something to munch on. Getting that supplement will make the class more bearable for you. Sort of like Pavlov’s dogs… if you bring food to a certain class, and then learn to associate that class with snack time, it will make you feel better going because you will make that association.

1. Different Notetaking Strategies

Some of these other tips will not work for some people. Sometimes, you need to go to class, take notes, and not do anything else. In that case, we recommend trying different notetaking strategies. Pinterest can be your best friend. Try color coding techniques, different ways of writing, formatting pages, drawing out examples. Doing things a different way can make the process of notetaking more enjoyable.

1. Take A Walk

When you are in a 2 or 3 hour lecture, sitting there the entire time can be a literal pain in the ass. Whether it is just 2 minutes to go into the hallway to stretch or a quick bathroom trip, using that little bit of time to take a breather outside of the room is sometimes enough to reenergize you to go back in and get rid of some of that lower back pain!

Overall, we know it can be difficult to get through classes. The important thing to remember is that we are all here to learn. Please avoid distracting other students if using these techniques. Just because you may be struggling to get through, doesn’t mean that it isn’t another students’ favorite class.

If there is anything that you do that works, comment and let us know!

Marissa is a senior psychology major and photography minor at Framingham State University. She is an Academic Success Peer Tutor, SDA in the dorms. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Framingham and a Chapter Advisor. When she is not daydreaming, Marissa enjoys binge-watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Hulu and sleeping.