My Absolute Favorite Songs to Lift a Downed Mood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

This is definitely one of those times where everyone seems to be down in the dumps—for any number of reasons. Opinions are divided, friendships are being tested, and heartbreaks are being felt in all walks of life. But no matter how different our worldview and experiences may be, there is one thing that can always make the day just a little bit brighter…

MUSIC.

I can’t think of a single time when I was upset and didn’t listen to music to cheer me up. There’s a song for every mood, and you can put a smile on even the sourest of faces with the right song.

So, in these times of great change, I’d like to share a list of songs that always cheer me up!

Electric Daisy Violin – Lindsey Stirling

I was first exposed to this song while modeling for a fashion major friend of mine in a runway show where she revealed her senior portfolio collection. Hearing it through the sound system while I was on that runway put just the right amount of bounce and whimsy in my step and made me feel amazing!

Check it out here

4Ever – The Veronicas

When I was in middle school and high school, I ran track, but I had to take a year off because I thought my asthma had gotten too severe. Well, this song is what brought me back! I heard it in one of my favorite movies, and it inspired me to put my sneakers back on and get back into one of my greatest passions!

Check it out here

Spice Up Your Life – The Spice Girls

This song has so many fond memories for me, especially from Girl Scout camp. It’s pretty much impossible to hear this song and not at least start tapping your feet. Every time I hear it, I want to just get up and start skipping all over the room!

Check it out here

Born This Way – Lady Gaga

This is one of the perfect gospels for self-love, positive body image, and confidence in all facets of your life. This song in particular has become an anthem for the LGBT+ community, and with just one listen you can truly feel how much strength, love, and passion went into its creation.

Check it out here

Safe and Sound – Capital Cities

This is the perfect song to listen to when you feel like the world is spinning just a little too fast. I first heard this song when I was with my closest high school friends as we were preparing to go off to college, and it helped to remind me that distance wasn’t going to separate us as long as we were friends. It’s a nice little reminder that everything will work out in the end and that there’s always someone there.

Check it out here

Gone, Gone, Gone – Phillip Phillips

I think this is one of those songs that everyone can at least appreciate, even if they don’t technically like it. The message is strong—true love, whether it’s familial or romantic, doesn’t die. It’s the kind of song that can get you through those last few steps of a miserable, rainy day.

Check it out here

Hey Brother – Avicii

I think the best way to describe this song is that it sings to every heart that’s ever needed a little bit of a boost. It reminds us that there’s always more to discover, more to wonder, and more to LOVE, but that we’re all in it together and that there’s always a helping hand ready to reach out to you when you need it.

Check it out here

Rush – Aly & AJ

I remember this song from way back in my childhood, and it was one of the first ones I bought on iTunes when I bought my first iPod. It’s always at the top of my driving playlists whenever I’m on a long road trip. It’s the perfect song for driving with the top down and your hair flying loose in the wind!

Check it out here

Lost Highway – Bon Jovi

This is another song that I can only describe with the fact that it sings straight to my heart when I’m on a long road trip. In particular, I listened to it when I was driving to Tennessee to visit my mom’s gravesite one year after her passing. The journey was tough and my heart was heavy, but this song really helped me through those last few miles.

Check it out here

Pocketful of Sunshine – Natasha Bedingfield

This song has always inspired me to get through those last few hurdles on my way toward something amazing—whether it’s an amazing adventure or just the end of finals week. There’s always a light at the end of the tunnel, or a rainbow at the end of a rainstorm, and this song is the perfect reminder of that.

Check it out here

Born For This – Paramore

This was, without a doubt, the perfect finale song for this playlist. It’s been one of my absolute favorites ever since I first heard it as a young teenager. It’s the perfect beacon of teen energy, inspiration, and simply taking charge of your own life!

Check it out here

So whenever you’re feeling down in the dumps, I hope you’ll kick back, put your headphones in, listen to one of these songs, and smile a bit more. Whatever it is, you’ll get through it, and I have the utmost faith in you!