Meet the Director of FSU’s Production of Legally Blonde, Jenna Topping!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

Next week, here at Framingham State, the Hilltop Players are putting on Legally Blonde – The Musical, for their Spring musical. The show is being directed by sophomore Jenna Topping. Jenna is an Elementary Education/English major from Dalton, MA. In lieu of the upcoming shows, I asked Jenna some questions about her experience directing at FSU for the first time!

Can you explain the process of proposing a show to direct here at FSU?

So, you have to come up with a proposal, mine was around 15 pages. It details every single aspect of the show; what you plan to do, how you plan to fund it, everything. You have to have a clear plan for costumes, set, music, choreography, lights, fundraising, auditions, etc. It’s a lot of work but it is well worth it because it’s very helpful when you actually start the process of directing, if your show is picked. 

Why did you choose Legally Blonde?

It’s a really fun show that has a female-majority cast, and we have a lot of strong and talented women in Hilltop! It also has a good message. It’s a show that is about overcoming stereotypes and empowering women. 

Can you explain what the show is about?

Elle is dumped by her boyfriend, so she decides to get into Harvard Law School to follow him and win him back. She wants to show him that she’s more than just a blonde sorority girl and that she can be smart, because she thinks that is what he wants. But she ends up actually liking law and excelling at it, and realizes she doesn’t need him. 

How did you get involved in theater?

When I was six years old, my friend told me that I should join this theater group, Berkshire Children’s Theater, and I’ve been doing it ever since.

Have you directed shows before this?

Yes. I’ve directed six shows at elementary and middle schools in my hometown.

What is your favorite thing about directing Legally Blonde?

It’s a lot of hard work, but I like the challenge and it’s so fun to work with all of these people. I love spending time with them and witnessing their improvement and growth each rehearsal. 

Why should people come see Legally Blonde?

It’s a really fun and energetic show with a positive message. It shows that you can do anything you set your mind to. Also, you should come so you can see some very talented people doing what they love. It’s a great show; it’s fun for all. We’ve all worked super hard on it!

Do you prefer acting or directing?

That’s a really hard question, they’re both so different. I think I like directing more. It’s so nice to see the final product and all the pieces you’ve worked on come together in the end. 

Who is your favorite character in the show and why?

Paulette, probably, because she’s just a very funny character that has a lot of personality and she is a super supportive friend to Elle—someone we all need in our lives!

How many people are involved in putting together a show at FSU?

It depends. There are around 30 people in this cast. Then we have a huge group of people who work behind the scenes, whether it’s backstage crew, or the Hilltop E-Board, or the other members of my production staff. Also, people on campus like SILD, Campus Events, family members of the cast, SGA and all of those groups, plus more that I can’t think of right now, are super helpful.

When can people see the show?

Thursday April 18, and Friday April 19 at 7 pm.

Saturday April 20 at 2 pm.

Free admission in DPAC!

“Being true to yourself never goes out of style”  

Victoria Bailey

Framingham '20

vice president & senior editor of Her Campus Framingham