Don’t Worry, Be Happy: 7 Things to Help Improve Your Happiness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

We all get a down at times and sometimes it can be hard to pick ourselves back up, but there are plenty of things we can do to help improve our happiness! Here is a little list of positive things to try when you need a pick-me-up:

Change your perspective

If you are a very negative person, changing your perspective can help lighten your mood. However, it’s not always easy to change your perspective when you are so used to looking at things negatively. A way that can help change your perspective and improve your mood is by keeping a gratitude journal. To do this all you have to do is write down three things each day that you are thankful for, made you happy or just a good thing that happened to you. By keeping a gratitude journal, you change your perspective by looking for all the positive things that happen throughout your days rather than noticing all the negative things.

Surround yourself with love and cut out toxins

If you have people or things in your life that you think are unhealthy, cut them out. I’m not saying it’s easy, especially if you consider some of these people your “friends”. But, if they are not treating you well are they really good friends that you want in your life? I’m not saying to never speak to them again, but try to separate yourself, do your own thing and surround yourself with the people that make you feel good. Spend time with the friends that support you, help you grow and make you be the person you want to be.

Give yourself or others compliments

Give yourself little pick-me-ups with compliments. Look at yourself in the mirror and pick out all the things you love about yourself. Always remember you deserve the compliments. And if it makes you feel good to make others feel good, hand out some compliments. Try to give out a compliment to at least three people a day!

Enjoy yourself Do the things that you like and make you happy. I understand that we are all busy and have full schedules, but remember that you always have time for the things you love when you make time. Take one of your hobbies and just give yourself one hour a day to enjoy it. You have plenty hours in the day to get stuff done, you can sacrifice one hour of your time.

Enjoy nature

Even if you are an indoor person, getting outside and enjoying some fresh air and sun is a great mood lifter. If you’ve never gone, I highly suggest trying hiking. I understand that not everyone may enjoy it like I do, but hiking is a great form of exercise that can fit the needs of any individual. If you like difficulty and want a challenge you can hike mountains or harder trails, or if you don’t want anything crazy you can just go for a nice stroll in the woods. Nature has an affect on our mood and can really improve our happiness. Just try it and if you don’t like it then at least you tried.

Take time for you

Don’t feel bad for needing alone time. We all need to get away from everyone sometimes. And even if you don’t like being alone, you should try taking some alone time. I’ve always been a person who likes being around people, but lately I’ve been spending a lot of time by myself because of everyone’s busy schedules and I’m learning to be okay with it. It’s good to feel okay being with yourself. Plus, by spending time alone you learn more about yourself. Try to take some time to learn about yourself, who you are and what you like.

Love yourself

Don’t wait around to be loved by others, love yourself. You will always be the one who is ALWAYS there for you no matter what, so learn to love that person. Treat yourself as you treat others, they don’t deserve to be put down and neither do you. Remember it’s okay to love who you are.