In Defense of “Chick Flicks”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

As a student who takes plenty of film classes, I have sat through more than enough “film bros” go on and on about their camera equipment, their love of Fight Club and Terrentino, and (of course) their hatred of “chick flicks.” A fairly degrading term for a collection of movies that are targeted at a specific gender, “chick flicks” are often just code for romance films, romantic comedies, or a movie with a female lead.

I am not the biggest fan of romantic movies, if I am being honest. I far from hate them, though. I see them just as legitimate as any other film. But, of course, women can be considered unintelligent for enjoying these films that are marketed for them (if I could eye roll in an article I would).

However, despite any box office success or critical acclaim, romance films/romantic comedies are not considered “good” or “art” by many film enthusiasts. Why is that? Well, probably because women enjoy them and a male dominated society wants to reject anything that celebrates femininity or most things women like. However, these films have a lot to offer the film genre. Let us look on the bright side of these films we put under the label “chick flick.”

• These films give an optimistic view on love and life. They give audience hope of happily ever afters even if it’s just for one hundred minutes. And what’s so bad about that?
  • They can also be realistic or unpredictable movies. Not every girl gets the guy, a character can experience loss and anger. We see these outcomes in films such as The Breakup and My Best Friend’s Wedding.
  • Some films emphasize female empowerment. This can be in the form of strong, loving female friendships, a woman succeeding in their job field. The Devil Wears Prada showcases a strong business woman portrayed by Academy Award Winner Meryl Streep and Anne Hathaway (also an Academy Award Winner!) as a young woman trying to make it in her field. Legally Blond is about a young woman who becomes a successful lawyer and makes wonderful female friends. Her new love is at the end of the film and not as important of the previously mentioned.
  • Some films can have stronger messages for audiences than simply love. For example, Mean Girls analyzes how we, especially young girls, treat others.
  • Finally, these films are purely entertaining for audiences. Not every film has to be action packed, or have metaphors in every scene for it to be entertaining. At the end of the day people watch movies because they make us feel something and we can escape for a little. So why can’t we escape with the idea of people finding love, women succeeding, and having great friends?

You do not have to love and watch every romantic movie or romantic comedy ever made, but you should not look down on them. A dark anti-hero does not always make a film good and a kiss in the rain does not make a film stupid.

Graduate from Framingham State University. Communication Arts major, and Writing minor. Former Co-Campus Correspondent of HC Framingham and current After College writer! I'm passionate about tv shows, comedy, music, and cheese fries and take them all very seriously.