To the Class of 2023: You Asked, We Answered!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

During our Rams Rising weekends (accepted students’ day) we met some awesome prospective FSU students. We asked you what fears you had about college, and here are some tips HC Framingham has for you in order to overcome some of those fears!

Roommates

Having a roommate can be one of the hardest transitions about college, and sharing a space with someone can have its ups and downs. In order to live comfortably with a new roommate, we have the following tips.

Getting to know your roommate

• When you’re having conversations with them, ask a lot of questions! Being engaged in a conversation will spark the other person’s interest and let them know that you’re a good listener and that you care.

Setting boundaries

• Although it’s ideal to be friends with your roommate, it’s important to set boundaries so you’re comfortable living with them, because that is what’s most important.
  • This avoids future conflict, so you don’t end up fighting over little things. 

Bonding

• If you’re having trouble making friends, your roommate is a good place to start, even if it you don’t end up being best friends. 
  • You could go to the dining hall together, or go to on campus events to get familiar with the school and to get to know your roommate better.

Meeting new people

Whether you’re living on campus or commuting, college is a place where you find a new group of friends. This can be nerve-wracking for many people, but remember, everyone is feeling the same way as you are!

Making new friends 

• Join a club! There is something here for everyone and it couldn’t hurt to try something new.
  • Go to social events on campus. The first week is always full of different events for new students.
  • If you live on campus, get to know the other people that live on your floor, or even in your building.
  • Talk to the people in your classes. If it doesn’t lead to friendship, it could come in handy for study groups later on.
  • Take exercise classes or attend sporting events.

Being accepted by others & expressing yourself

• Be yourself! Don’t try to change to fit in with a certain group of people. You will find people who love you exactly the way you are.
  • Find others that have the same interests as you, whether this is through a club or simply by introducing yourself to people.

Dealing with change

• Don’t hesitate to talk with a therapist if you feel overwhelmed by any of the changes you experience at college. FSU has a free, confidential counseling center right here on campus in the health and wellness center.
  • Talk to your friends! Talking through your problems with anyone makes it easier to handle stress and change. Everyone goes through it, and you aren’t alone.
  • If you feel homesick, do things that remind you of home. Call your family or friends from home, etc.

Academics

Along with all of the social changes comes the academic changes. Staying on top of your school work is important, because it is, after all, why you’re here. 

Enjoying/picking a major

• You can change your major at any time (though it’s more beneficial to do it within the first two years), so don’t feel that it is permanent.
  • If you’re unsure of what you want to study, going in undecided can be helpful, that way you can get your general education courses out of the way and you won’t be wasting credits.

Staying on track with classes and getting good grades

• Utilize the many resources on campus like CASA (tutoring center), supplemental instructors (student helpers) if your class has one, and your professor’s office hours.
  • Use a planner to stay organized, make study groups, and don’t be afraid to ask for your classmates’ phone numbers in case you need help.

Finals 

• Finals are inevitable but studying and completing your work will help you in the long run.
  • Take some time for yourself. Take study breaks and practice self-care.

Graduating on time

• It’s okay if it takes you more than 4 years to graduate, everyone goes at their own pace!
  • If you are adamant on completing in 4 years, take general education courses first, know what classes you need to take for your major/minor and stick to that schedule.
  • Online summer and winter classes are also an option if you feel you are falling behind or want to get ahead.

Money

It’s no secret that money is one of the most stressful parts of college for a lot of people. We have a few tips that will hopefully help you with your financial worries.

Combating student debt while in school

• If you qualify, there is work study available on campus that will go toward your financial aid.
  • There are also some paid internships available, as well as on campus jobs you can get.
  • There are payment plans you can enroll in to pay off some of your debt while still in school, if that option works for you. 

Planning for a career when you’re still in college 

• There are career fairs on campus that help you start to think about life after college.
  • Career Services is also a good resource to help with things like interviews, internships, and job searches.
  • Every student has an academic advisor to help them choose classes each semester, but they are also a good resource for talking about careers.

We hope that our tips help you feel a little more at ease when thinking about college! See you in the Fall!

HCXO