All of the Problems with The Bachelor Finale

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

Whether you watched the two night finale earlier this week or heard your friends rant about it or saw celebrities tweet about it, you will know that many people are not happy with how the recent season of “The Bachelor” has ended. In case you have not heard (by choice or by coincidence) bachelor Arie fell in love with contestants Lauren and Becca. He ended up breaking up with Lauren and proposing to Becca. However, about a month after taping the season, Arie meets Becca at what she believes is the “Happy Couple’s Weekend” and breaks up with her…. on camera… so he can go back to Lauren. Now the whole situation is messy and the information the former contestants provided on the After the Finale Rose about what happened off camera does not help. However, this will focus on what the audience saw on screen and the issues with the show’s finale itself.

1. The “unedited” version was unnecessary.

Host, Chris Harrison, hyped up the finale, repeatedly reminding viewers the footage was unedited. Now from an editor’s viewpoint, editing would not have made it less dramatic. In fact, it might have helped the episode.There was so much dead silence and editing together the two camera angles would’ve been just as effective. While having a split screen was interesting while moving around the house, it was not the most effective.

2. Arie went to the show saying he was going to break up with Becca before she knew?

Nothing more to say. Watching Becca be blindsided by someone she loved is simply disgusting.

3. Arie wouldn’t listen to Becca.

She kept asking him to leave and he wouldn’t.  It was as if he was waiting for forgiveness he doesn’t deserve or her blessing to be with Lauren. Again, gross.

4. Making Becca re-watch the breakup on live TV.

She knew what happened, why make her watch again? Personally, I don’t think her answers or reactions would be any different. It was awkward and hard to watch.

5. Arie saying he was completely over Becca to Lauren.

If he is then that’s fine. But it’s painful to watch him tell one woman it’s difficult to get over someone then turn to another woman and say they’re completely ready for a relationship after a breakup.

6. Having Caroline back on.

I’m not saying she’s bitter she didn’t win or wants attention or anything negative about her as a person. I also understand she caused intrigue at the women tell all and is friends with Becca. However, as a show, I don’t understand why they would bring her back for the second night of the finale. Compared to the other featured women on the finale, she is not as recognizable, so I’m simply confused by her being there.

7. Arie proposing to Lauren right after talking to Becca.

Look, if they’re truly happy, that’s great! They deserve to be happy and if they’re soul mates, then who are we to judge? But to propose in front of multiple ex-girlfriends? Not smart.

Those are my main issues with the “The Bachelor” two part finale. Frankly, there were plently of issues with the seaon as a whole (mainly how boring a certain someone was and the breakup was the only time viewers felt a connection with the show) but especially with the ending. At least fans can look on the bright side that Becca gets another chance with the franchise as our next bachelorette and we can’t wait! 

Graduate from Framingham State University. Communication Arts major, and Writing minor. Former Co-Campus Correspondent of HC Framingham and current After College writer! I'm passionate about tv shows, comedy, music, and cheese fries and take them all very seriously.