This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

Accepting Your Culture

I have always felt disconnected to my culture. Growing up only speaking English, I felt less than for not speaking my native tongue. The glares and judgment for not being able to speak Spanish is always going to be engraved in my memory.

My mom is full Puerto Rican, came to the United States when she was six years old. My dad is full Mexican, came to the United States when he was around 18-19 years old. When people asked where I was from, I had a lot of mixed reactions growing up. “You can’t be both”, “I only like one part of you”, “You’re not a real Latina if you don’t speak Spanish” etc. It was like choosing two different worlds. One or the other, but I couldn’t disregard a part of who I was. 

I love my mom’s arroz con frijoles. I love my dad’s passion towards soccer and eating my mom’s frijoles. He will come over as soon as I say we’re having frijoles. I love how they both are connected through culture. They might have different views on life, but they know that I should always remember my roots because it’s their story and mine. My parents raised me to be proud of my culture. They did not come to the United States for me to be ashamed of where I come from. 

If you’re half this or half that, full, can or cannot speak your native language; you are not any less because of that. Regardless of what you look like, how you act, etc. Your culture is a part of who you are and you are strong. If your parents came here and try their best to provide for you, always be grateful and appreciative of that. I wouldn’t be where I am today without my parents’ support and love. I will always keep them close to my heart and I want to make them proud and that starts with accepting who I am.   

Jessica Gutierrez

Framingham '22

Hello! My name is Jessica Gutierrez and I am currently a freshman at Framingham State.
President and Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Framingham, Senior at Framingham State University, Finance Major. Avid animal lover, aspiring fashionista, and amateur traveler.