10 Documentaries You Should Watch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

I love documentaries.  Reading that sentence you had either one of two reactions. You either agreed with excitement or you’re looking for a different article to read. But don’t worry. Documentaries can be boring, I’ll admit it, but they’re not all slow paced three hour movies narrated with tired monotone voices that put you right to sleep. But well done discoveries and analysis of the unknown make for an enjoyable movie or tv show that hold your attention. Yes, tv shows, if you didn’t know, can also be a series of documentaries. They’re like a reality show but with a lot more educational value and less producing by Ryan Secrest. Documentary shows can explore more and different aspects of an interesting subject(s) that you can’t cover in just one film.

Maybe one of these docs can even change your mind and get you to love documentaries, too.

Disclaimer: These are solely a list of documentaries that I have seen multiple times and have enjoyed based off my interests. I am by no means an expert and can’t offer you anything if you watch these and do not like them. But I hope you do like them even a little bit.

Everything is Copy

The title of this HBO documentary was the mantra of the late Nora Ephron. If that name sounds familiar it might be because you’ve seen You Got Mail, Sleepless in Seattle, or When Harry Met Sally (or as I like to call them together Mindy Lahiri’s Holy Trinity) or any of Ephron’s other famous movies. Ephron was a brilliant writer and filmmaker and the movie pays tribute to not only her career, but her as the intriguing person she was.

Miss You Can Do It

This feel good doc covers an adorable pageant for young girls with physical and/or mental disabilities. As explained in the movie, Abbey Curran, who has cerebral palsy, won Miss Iowa 2008, and competed in Miss USA, founded a pageant just for girls who have special needs and celebrate them. The film spotlights a variety of amazing and excited girls and their proud families as they go through the pageant. This documentary is a heart-warming must see!

States of Undress

Another series on VICELAND, we travel the globe with model Hailey Gates. With her, we learn about the fashion and beauty standards of different countries and cultures. Gates takes to the runways and streets to see the glamour, controversies, and relationship of a country and fashion.

So far, Gates has traveled to Russia and learned about their production of clothing, Venezuela and found out its beauty standards for both women and men, and Pakistan and discovered the wide variety of traditional and modern clothing. But the show goes deeper than the popular styles of each country; Gates and the show are able is connect fashion with the complex politics, cultural standards, and more of different countries.

A Girl in the River: The Price of Forgiveness

An eighteen year old woman, Saba, is almost killed for marrying someone her family did not approve of. Only a few hours after her wedding she is left to die in a river in an “honor killing” but, Saba lives. Despite this, Saba is pressured to forgive the male family members who attempted to kill her by her community. The short film shows the importance of status, forgiveness, and women’s rights are in Pakistan.

Balls Deep

Balls Deep is a documentary series on VICELAND, which follows host Thomas Morton as he experiences different aspects of life with different groups of people to learn more about humanity. Morton experiences the focus of the episode hands on with those more familiar (people who are closer to being experts), rather than just observing and asking questions.

From experiencing the last week of high school in a small town to working on a tug boat to living like an Alaskan native, each episode is an experience itself.

Tig

If you haven’t heard of comedian Tig Notaro by now then you should watch this Netflix documentary to familiarize yourself. The film is about Tig’s journey in her career as a stand-up comedian, her personal life, and her cancer diagnosis. The film features interviews with Tig herself, along with friends, family, and peers. You will laugh, cry, and some things in between.

Going Clear

This HBO documentary gained a lot of attention when it aired last year by pulling back the curtain to revel some of the unsettling reality that is scientology. From its suspicious beginning and equally odd current position in the lives of up to thousands. The filmmakers also sit down with former members of the organization and share their important experiences with the church of scientology. No matter how many times you watch this movie, the disturbing feeling you get doesn’t decrease. This well done movie is definitely worth a watch.

Women Aren’t Funny

Comedy fans will enjoy this 2013 documentary with comedian Bonnie McFarlane. McFarlane sets out to put an end to the exhausting sexist question “are women funny?” She sits down with male and female comics with various levels of fame and different opinions on the subject. Features comedians such as Sarah Silverman, Chelsea Peretti, and many more!

Women Aren’t Funny is available on Netflix

Heroin Cape Cod, USA

Probably the darkest movie on this list, but it covers an important issue to be aware of, especially for Massachusetts residents. Cape Cod is known for its beautiful beaches, great restaurants, and sadly, high use of heroin. This documentary follows Cade Cod locals who are also addicts, some are recovering while others are still using. It is a fascinating and dark unveiling of what it’s like to live as a heroin addict.

American Teacher

This movie examines a collection of different teachers from across the United States over the course of three years as well as the country’s educational system and its flaws. The film is associated with The Teacher Salary Project, since the low payment teachers receive is a point the filmmakers emphasize. Plus, narrated by Matt Damon. Along with that, we learn more about the different demands education requires from its teachers we may not have known about. We learn about the love these teachers have for their careers and what they sacrifice in the meantime. This film is recommended for inspiring educators or if someone you know is one. 

Graduate from Framingham State University. Communication Arts major, and Writing minor. Former Co-Campus Correspondent of HC Framingham and current After College writer! I'm passionate about tv shows, comedy, music, and cheese fries and take them all very seriously.
Marissa is a senior psychology major and photography minor at Framingham State University. She is an Academic Success Peer Tutor, SDA in the dorms. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Framingham and a Chapter Advisor. When she is not daydreaming, Marissa enjoys binge-watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Hulu and sleeping.