mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

In honor of Women’s History Month, I’d like to emphasize women who were the first: to do, to discover, to accomplish. So, here’s a list of some legendary females who changed the world:

1. Marie Curie: She was the first woman to win the Nobel Prize in Physics (1903) and in Chemistry (1911).

2. Valetina Vereshkova: First woman in space (1963).

3. Sarah Christian: First woman to race in NASCAR (1949).

4. Ronda Rousey and Liz Carmouche: Participants in first women’s fight in UFC history (2013).

5. Amy Hughes: Ran 53 marathons in 53 days, setting the record for the most marathons run on consecutive days of any person, male or female (2014).

6. Diana Nyad: Became the first confirmed person to swim from Cuba to Florida without protection of a shark cage at age 64 (2013).

7. Edith Wharton: First woman to win the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction (1921).

8. Sandra Day O’Connor: First woman to serve on the U.S. Supreme Court (1981).

9. Sarah Thomas: First woman to referee for the NFL (2015).

10. Aretha Franklin: First woman to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (1987).

11. Junko Tabei: First woman to reach the summit of Mount Everest (1975).

12. Vanessa Williams: First African American winner of the Miss America pageant (1984).

13. Sirivamo Bandaranaike: First woman to be named head of a country’s government, Sri Lanka (1960).

14. Althea Gibson: First person of color to win the French Open (1956).

15. Katharine Graham: First female Fortune 500 CEO (1972).

16. Margaret Bourke-White: First female photographer accredited to cover WWII combat zones (1942).

17. Madam C.J. Walker: First female self-made millionaire in America (1919).

18. Robin Givhan: First (and only) female fashion journalist to win Pulitzer Prize for Criticism (2006).

19. Wallis Simpson: Time Magazine’s first female Person of the Year (1936).

20. Kathryn Bigelow: First woman to win the Oscar for Best Director (2010).

#FemalePower

My name is Kate, but you can call me Kava. Currently realizing my childhood dream of living in New York City. The Bronx counts too, right? I am studying Psychology and Communications & Media Studies at Fordham University. I love iced coffee, photography, the beach, and finding cool places that everyone wants to know about. Here to share my thoughts about everything I possibly can, hoping someone is reading.