Teresa Gianotti: Ram for Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.
This Long Island native has Fordham pride in her blood. Teresa Gianotti brings a lot of energy and drive to our community here in the Bronx. She’s involved with two great campus organizations, has traveled with Global Outreach, and still finds time to leave her mark on Manhattan, where she interns at “The Rachel Maddow Show.” Not only that, but this collegiette gives great advice if you’d like to follow in her footsteps.

Where are you from? Huntington, New York on Long Island.

What year are you? Junior.

What is your major? American studies.

What activities are you involved in? I’m an ambassador with the Rose Hill Society and I am a producer, engineer, and desk assistant at WFUV.

Favorite movie: The Sound of Music. Nothing compares.

Favorite band/musician: I am a huge fan of Sara Bareilles and Norah Jones. But if you told me I could only listen to one person for the rest of my life, it would be John Mayer.

Favorite book: The Little Engine That Could.

Favorite TV show: Now that “Downton Abbey” has become a soap opera….”Parks and Recreation.”

How did you decide to come to Fordham? Both of my parents are Fordham graduates. My mother was a member of the last class of Thomas More (’74), before Fordham became co-ed. She’s very proud of that. My father went to Lincoln Center and graduated in ’73. Apart from that, I came to Fordham with the assumption that I would eventually take a spring spot at USC (Southern California) and only stay for the first semester of freshman year. Obviously, things changed.

How did you become involved with WFUV? My mother worked at WFUV when she was at Fordham, and encouraged me to get involved. I had always been interested in media and sports, so I decided to try it out.

Do you have any tips for students who are trying to balance schoolwork, extracurriculars, and other obligations like internships? 1. Buy a planner. 2. It’s always better to make a few commitments and honor them, than spread yourself too thin and not be dependable. 3. If you need help, or more time, ask for it. 

What’s your favorite thing about NY? That it is home. I’m lucky in that I can have my own life at school and in the city, yet still go home for a family birthday or other things. I truly have the best of both worlds. 

What’s your least favorite thing about NY? The pace can be draining and often isolating.

Do you have a favorite NYC memory? From my college years: Walking out of 30 Rock at 10pm after my first day at “The Rachel Maddow Show,” only to end up right in the middle of a huge Fashion’s Night Out event. I felt like I was in a dream world.

What’s on your NYC bucket list? The Pizza Tour, for obvious reasons.

Do you have a favorite Fordham memory? My freshman year, as a whole, will always be a favorite memory of mine. Mostly because it was fun without any responsibility.

What’s your favorite class you’ve taken at Fordham? Catholicism and Democracy with Dean Gould.

What’s your least favorite class you’ve taken at Fordham? Anything Spanish-related. Bad news bears.

Where’s your favorite spot on campus? It’s in the library, and it’s my favorite studying spot. That’s all you’re getting from me.

If you could give one piece of advice to a Fordham collegiette™, what would it be? Try, as best you can, to coordinate your work life and your academic life. What you do off-campus should contribute to your on-campus learning. I think that’s the best way to take advantage of college life in a city like New York.

What’s your dream job? I don’t have a specific dream job. However, I do want to be influential and thought-provoking – the medium through which that will happen, though, is still a mystery to me. In the next few years, I see myself gravitating towards a job that would allow me to travel. There’s no sense in being tied down at 20 or 21.

What do you think the best part of a Jesuit education is? ?Learning to be cognizant of others’ struggles and misfortunes, while obtaining the intellectual resources and social skills to alleviate them.

Who is your favorite professor at Fordham? Dean Gould is a riot. He really loves academia, and I appreciate that.

What’s one thing everyone would be surprised to learn about you? I’m kind of, sort of afraid of large dogs. I’m not sure where it stems from, but it’s one of my irrational fears.

Pick one!
Bronx Zoo or Botanical Gardens? Botanical Gardens
Arthur Ave/Fordham Road? ?Arthur Avenue.  A great cannoli always wins.
Cafeteria or Grille? To be more specific, pre-packaged items at the Grille.
Conway or Dr. Jay’s? Conway is inherently hilarious.
RamVan or Subway? ??Subway. I don’t understand why people voluntarily subject themselves to NYC traffic.
Met or MoMA? The Met.
Hot Dog or Bagel? Whole wheat bagel toasted with butter, please.
Broadway or Off-Broadway? Broadway for shows, off-Broadway for dinner afterwards.
Radio City or Madison Square Garden? MSG, always. Although I haven’t been to the new MSG, I’m sure my answer will stay the same.
Central Park or Brooklyn Bridge? Central Park.
Sarah is a member of the Class of 2013 at Fordham University, where she's a double-major in American Studies and Communication & Media Studies. A South Florida native, she is still adjusting to the cold and figuring out the basics of a winter wardrobe. A huge sports fan, Sarah watches way too much Sportscenter and compensates by watching copious amounts of E!, Gilmore Girls, and Pretty Little Liars. When she's not watching movies or staring at a television screen, she also enjoys blogging, photography, fashion, reading, and bring Pinterest pins to life. Follow her on Twitter @sari_ramirez.