Culture > News

Talk About the Humanitarian Crisis Not Their Bravery – A Note on Ukraine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Andrew Kramer tells the story of the thousands of Ukrainians living in the subway system following the recent attacks from Russia. The Ukrainian people are brave but that shouldn’t be the narrative of their story.

Russia’s unprovoked attacks on Ukraine have left millions of people fleeing, living underground, and picking up arms. Despite their extreme bravery, the humanitarian crisis that Ukraine is facing should be at the heart of this news cycle.

There are roots of restraint being used by Russian soldiers on the ground, but the same can’t be said for the air strikes that continue to fall on Kyiv. Furthermore Russians are responsible for the emotional suffering, indignity and humanitarian crisis they are continuing to wage on Ukrainians.

This is a limitless war so long as Russians treat all Ukrainians as the enemy. The lines between civilian and soldier are becoming more blurred, though not an excuse for the senseless acts of war by the Russians.

Hi everyone! I'm from Buffalo, NY and I'm majoring in Political Science & French at Fordham. I am so proud to be Editor of our chapter. I love keeping up with politics and current events, enjoy my articles!