She’s More Than “O.K.”: Claudine Murphy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Claudine Murphy is probably one of the smallest girls on campus – but she’s got the biggest dreams. Claudine is fiercely intelligent, opinionated and dedicated. This is demonstrated through almost every club that Claudine is signed up for. Claudine combines her passion for politics with her big heart in all that she does. Claudine is a member of the College Democrats, co-secretary of Right to Play, a peer mentor to international students – that’s just naming a few. Claudine is also a historic Campus Celebrity – she is the first person to answer our hidden trick question correctly. Read on to see which one it is!

Where are you from?
I am from a very small town all the way in upstate New York. It is called Kinderhook, and it is half an hour south of Albany. Fun fact: It is the home of the eighth president of the United States of America, Martin Van Buren, and the phrase “o.k.” comes from “Old Kinderhook,” which President Van Buren used to sign at the bottom of all of his letters. My family and I have lived in Kinderhook for the past 14 years, but I was actually born in Bad Tölz, Bavaria, Germany, because my mom is from there.

What year are you? I am a junior.

What is your major?
I am an English and Spanish double major.

What activities are you involved in?
I am the Events Coordinator for Fordham College Democrats (we have a really great event coming up, so look out for it!). I am co-secretary with the lovely writer of this column, Claire Cumberland, for Right to Play, a new club at Fordham that supports sports for development in developing nations. I am a member of the Pre-law society and of the Deutsche Studenten Klub. I am a Freshman Advisor Student Assistant (FASA) and a peer mentor for international students.

Favorite movie:
The Incredibles. Fight mediocrity by daring to be super.

Favorite band/musician:
Neil Young. Hands down. I’ve been in love with his music since I was little. When I was maybe three or four years old and my parents would listen to him, I would ask “Is it Neil Young, mom?” I love the message of social justice and political progressiveness in his songs.

Favorite book:
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. That may seem like a cop-out for an English major, but I just love the story, the characters, and the eloquence of Austen’s writing. Victorian novels are my favorite, so I also enjoy the works of George Eliot, Charlotte Brönte, Henry James, and Edith Wharton.

Favorite TV show:
Suits. It just finished its first season of USA.

How did you decide to come to Fordham?
To be honest, it didn’t make the top of my list until about April of senior year in high school. My dad went to Fordham, and he always knew I would love it here. Being the petulant daughter that I am, I didn’t believe him, but when I started getting back acceptances and rejections, I had to reorganize my list of schools, and I rethought Fordham. I did not recognize it right away, but I felt at home at Fordham because of all the opportunities for service combined with the Jesuit ideals of learning. The Dorothy Day Center, Global Outreach, and service learning classes were all things that attracted me to Fordham. I loved the campus and proximity to Manhattan, so it shot up to the top of my list, and I am sure glad it did! I’ve loved every minute here, and I’m convinced I could not have gotten a better education anywhere else. I should have known, my dad is always right!

Do you have any tips for students who are trying to balance schoolwork, extracurriculars, and other obligations like internships?
Don’t stress and make lots of lists. My roommate always says, “the road to success gets shorter with the first step.” The sooner you start something that’s on your list the sooner you can cross it off and the lower your stress will be. Personally, I think the best thing to do is to make sure you balance out obligations with some activity you really enjoy. It is good to have release. It might be going for a run. I think a lot when I run, and by the time I get back to my room, my head is cleared and I feel much lighter. It might be dance, tennis, or any other physical activity that doesn’t involve the type of analytical thinking that college students do so much of when they read dense material and write papers. Your brain needs a break from that kind of activity, so it’s a good idea to do something that involves another part of the brain.

What’s your favorite thing about NY?
I love everything! I love how easy it is to go anywhere in the city. I love all the different kinds of people. I love the hustle and bustle. As much as New Yorkers get a reputation for being nasty, quick, and impatient, they always take the time to be friendly if you need it. My favorite spots are Union Square and Chelsea. Probably because they have the best coffee spots, another thing I love about New York. It runs on coffee.

What’s your least favorite thing about NY?
Fordham was perfect for me, because it is in New York, but sometimes I like to go back to the country. I miss the farms and openness of the country, and it is nice to get away from the dirty city and feel the “clean” dirt beneath your bare feet.

Do you have a favorite Fordham memory?
My favorite memory at Fordham is meeting all my friends. I’ve been so lucky with all the people I have met at Fordham, especially my best friend. I also loved having a giant snowball fight on Eddie’s before winter break freshman year and meeting Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. last year.

Do you have a favorite NYC memory?
The day I went with my best friend from Fordham and my best friend from home to Union Square for a protest of the United State’s involvement in war and conduct in Libya and to advocate peaceful diplomacy. After walking around the square in the midst of protestors, we went shopping in SoHo, and we went to Grey Dog’s Café for coffee and lunch. I was doing my favorite things with my favorite people.

What’s your favorite class you’ve taken at Fordham?
Later Victorian Novels with Professor McElligott. I loved all the novels we read and the class discussions were so intellectually stimulating.

What’s your least favorite class you’ve taken at Fordham?
Probably Chemistry of Art or Introduction to Political Science. They were both introductory courses, which are not as interesting as more advanced courses are. Chemistry was actually pretty fun, but I am more interested in other subjects, and political science, although I love politics, was very theoretical and dry, and I like a more hands on approach to politics.

Where’s your favorite spot on campus?
I love the small room on the third floor of Duane with the long table and wrought iron spiral staircase that leads up to an observation deck that goes all the way around the room. I love to imagine how that room must have looked filled with books when my dad was at Fordham and Duane was still the library. It is such a beautiful room.

If you could give one piece of advice to an incoming Fordham freshman, what would it be?
Do not be afraid to do new things and step out of your comfort zone. College is a time of change and growth. The best thing you can do is participate in every class and join at least a couple of clubs you are interested in. Everyone will tell you this, but I promise it is true. It might seem hard, but just jump in! The sooner you raise your hand in class, the sooner you will realize that your classmates and professors will really appreciate your insight and the less scary it will be.

What’s your dream job?
President of the United States of America. I would settle for Secretary of State. I am very ambitious, but it is my dream to be a public servant. My parents have instilled in me a desire for purposeful and meaningful work, and Fordham has nurtured that desire. I want to be able to help advance the lives of many people, and I believe that I can affect positive change by pursuing a career in public service.

What’s on your NYC bucket list?
Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge and eat Greek food in Astoria, Queens.

What do you think the best part of a Jesuit education is?
Its commitment to social justice and service are very important, because we cannot live in a world without them. As a student of a Jesuit University, I can be a woman for others.

Who is your favorite professor at Fordham?
I have loved so many of them. I think the professors are the pride of Fordham, because they are so intelligent and passionate about what they do, and they challenge their students to think in different ways. They also love to learn from their students, because they are so liberal minded and open to new ideas. I would have to say, some of my favorite professors have been Professor Jimenez-Belmonte and Professor McElligott. I loved their classes, because they encouraged student participation and the analytical reading was interesting.

What’s one thing everyone would be surprised to learn about you?
I have a rare disease called Pigmented Villonodular Synovitis (PVNS) in my right knee. It is a disease where benign tumors grow in the joint, and I have had four surgeries for it, but that doesn’t stop me from playing tennis and dancing!

Pick one!

Bronx Zoo or Botanical Gardens? 
Bronx Zoo

Arthur Ave/Fordham Road?
Arthur Ave

Cafeteria or Grille?
Grille

Conway or Dr. Jay’s?
Conway

RamVan or Subway? 
RamVan

THE TRICK QUESTION: Duane Reade or WalGreen’s?
Duane Reade, but aren’t they both under the same company?

Met or MoMA?
Met

Hot Dog or Bagel?
Bagel

Broadway or Off-Broadway?           
Broadway

Radio City or Madison Square Garden?
Madison Square Garden

Central Park or Brooklyn Bridge?
Central Park, but I haven’t been to Brooklyn Bridge yet, so I still want to go at least once.

Claire Cumberland is a sophomore at Fordham University in the Bronx. A communications major, she doesn’t have a singular idea about what she wants to do with her life, but hopes to dabble in many different things before stumbling upon her dream job. She enjoys reading, writing, walking her dog Scout, going to thrift stores, watching television, painting her nails, getting internships, online shopping, and color coding things. Claire has interned at Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation, a charity for childhood cancer established in her hometown of Philadelphia, PA. She also interned at Sesame Workshop as a production intern for The Electric Company, a popular show on PBS. Claire is currently involved in Global Outreach at Fordham University and is an anchor for Fordham Nightly News.