Wellness

Seasonal Depression is Real – Here’s How to Fight It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

November brings lots of great things: the changing leaves and the beautiful continuation of autumn, the beginning of the holiday spirit, and family reunions during Thanksgiving. However, November also brings something that might not be so exciting for some of us: daylight savings time. Gaining an hour of sleep sounds great – at first – until you realize that in exchange for that extra hour of sleep, it will start getting dark before the clock hits 5:00.

When I first started college, I realized that I started to feel a lot more anxious, stressed, and sad when November rolled around. I dismissed it quickly, thinking that it was just homesickness or stress from classes and midterms. However, the next year, the same thing happened. I went home frequently sophomore year (since classes were on Zoom), so I knew it couldn’t be homesickness. Maybe I was just missing normal, pre-pandemic times?

After a lot of Googling, I realized that I was probably one of the many people who are affected in some way by seasonal affective disorder. Luckily, mine was pretty mild – I was always able to get through those long weeks of winter with the support of friends and family. But I noticed that in the winter, it felt way easier to fall into a funk. If one thing went wrong, it often ruined my entire day – sometimes, even multiple days. In the spring, however, things would go wrong and roll right off my shoulders as I got on with my day full of smiles and jokes.

Though seasonal affective disorder can feel like an unfair burden, the first step to combatting it is realizing that it affects you. The lack of daylight and sunshine might make it feel harder to get out of bed or complete regular tasks like homework and exercise. This is normal! Human bodies are made to respond to light – when it is dark out, they want to relax and go to sleep! Unfortunately, however, just because there is less daylight in the winter doesn’t mean there are less responsibilities – or that your happiness should decrease. Follow along for some tips for managing your seasonal depression and having a productive, happy winter.

prepare

If you have a feeling you might be affected by seasonal affective disorder, one of the best things you can do is prepare. This can be done in many ways. Make sure you keep up healthy habits as winter approaches – exercise each day, journal, meditate, and talk with family and friends. If you have a close friend or family member that you feel comfortable talking with, it might be a good idea to let them know that the next few weeks or months might be difficult for you. If you want to seek professional help, counselors and therapists are also great resources for navigating seasonal depression and dealing with any anxieties the upcoming season may bring. The goal is to head into the weather with the best mental health possible – almost like getting a flu vaccine right before flu season.

light, light, light!

It’s a biological feature of the human race that when it is dark out, our bodies think it’s time to rest. Unfortunately for us, however, in the winter it is dark for almost half of the day – we can’t spend all of that time sleeping! Darkness also makes it easier to be sad, lonely, or unmotivated. Ensuring that you keep as many lights on as possible until it is actually time to go to bed can help you stay focused, happy, and confident. Though it may cost you a few extra dollars on your electricity bill, your happiness and mental stability are worth it. Keep your environment bright and happy, so that you stay that way too! There are even lights specifically made for fighting seasonal depression – check them out here.

fix your sleep schedule

As we know, winter means it is dark a lot more often than it usually is. We can’t let our bodies sleep through all the darkness! If your sleep schedule is already not great, it will be even harder to get out of bed in the mornings when it is still pitch-black outside. Fixing your sleep schedule and going to bed at the same time every night will allow your body’s clock to adjust and will make it much easier to wake up on those dark, cold winter mornings.  

exercise

The effects of exercise on mental health are extraordinary. This has been known for some time – you can read more about it here. However, it is even more important to exercise in the winter because we often feel more tired in the winter. Exercise wakes us up, in addition to building our confidence and ability to focus. Moving your body during the day gets you up and out of bed, clears your mind, and decreases stress levels. Bonus points if you can exercise outside in the sunshine (if it’s not too chilly)! Vitamin D also helps us maintain high levels of happiness and relaxation.

focus on the little things

Focusing on the little things during the winter can make the season seem a lot less overwhelming. Try picking one thing to look forward to each week: it could be Thanksgiving, the Christmas season, a dinner you have planned with friends, or even just a night spent curled up with a book and a nice meal. Having things to look forward to switches your mindset from “How am I going to get through these next 3 months?” to “What do I have to look forward to this week?”. Winter can seem daunting – but if you sprinkle in little things to be excited for, it passes much more quicky. Further, making plans with others forces you to get out of your apartment or dorm and into the world. Lots of times, social interactions can make us feel a whole lot better.

schedule your time

A long, dark, cold winter day with absolutely no obligations presents the perfect opportunity for sadness and anxiety to take over. Try to schedule your days with obligations that get you out of the house and force you to interact with other people. Join clubs, get a part time job, or join an intramural team! Getting out of your living space and spending time with friends will get your mind off of any anxious thoughts that may be creeping in. Try to spend as little time as possible in your bedroom – study at the library, eat in a communal lounge, and hang out with friends in a student center or at one of their apartments/dorms. Keeping yourself busy will allow you to embrace all of the things you love about winter, like the holiday spirit, while also distracting you so you barely even notice the darkness and the cold.

If you think you may suffer from seasonal affective disorder, remember that you are not alone! Many more people thank you might think are affected by the changing seasons and the darkness. However, if you are ever feeling especially anxious or depressed, make sure to contact a mental health professional.

Kaleigh Pfohl

Fordham '23

Kaleigh is an International Political Economy major at Fordham and loves reading, traveling, and trying new restaurants!