The Philly Phanatic: Nick Carroll

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

If you’ve ever picked up an issue of The Ram, you’ve seen Nick Carroll’s byline. The former Editor-in-Chief and proud Philly native  is an expert on anything and everything sports.

Where are you from? The greatest city God put on his green Earth – Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

What year are you? FCRH 2012.

What is your major? The intestive arts of communications and media studies.

What activities are you involved in? I used to be the Editor-in-Chief at The Ram, before that I used to be Sports Editor. I still cover men’s basketball for The Ram and I appear on FNN’s “Overtime” as a baseball/football correspondent.

Favorite movie: Anything where Liam Nesson kills 35 people in and/or a hundred wolves.

Favorite band/musician: I’d like to preface this by saying that it depends on the day, but I’m a pretty big Nirvana fan. 

Favorite book: My favorite growing up was Moneyball, because it gives a much different perspective on sports than more people were exposed to. 

Favorite TV show: “Now this is a story all about how/
My life got flipped-turned upside down/
And I liked to take a minute just sit right there/
And tell you how I became the prince of a town called Bel-Air”

How did you become involved with The Ram? I’m interested in becoming a sports journalist, so I thought that was a good place to hone my skills.

Do you have any tips for students who are trying to balance schoolwork, extracurriculars, and other obligations like internships? Utlize all the down time you have in your activities – there’s a lot of situations where if you’re in the middle of a campus activity, there will be some down time and you have to take advantage of that. Try not to put too many things off til the last second.

What’s your favorite thing about NY? There are so many different ways I can leave.

Do you have a favorite Fordham memory? Overall the time I’ve spent with my friends at Fordham has been pretty rewarding.

Do you have a favorite NYC memory? There was one time where I had a 2:30 class on a Friday. I went in, sat down, and realized it wasn’t worth my time. So I got up, didn’t even go to my dorm room, went straight to the train station and had a hell of a weekend back home.

What’s your favorite class you’ve taken at Fordham? The Evolution of Rock ‘n’ Roll to Hip Hop with Professor Mark Naison. The class wasn’t just about music, it was probably the best learning experience I’ve ever had relating to recent American history and culture.

What’s your least favorite class you’ve taken at Fordham? Mostly anything in the core curriculum and the required classes because generally the teachers don’t care, the students don’t care, and students learn very little that could be considered valuable.

Where’s your favorite spot on campus? Murphy Field. I’ve had a lot of good memories playing football there.

If you could give one piece of advice to a Fordham collegiette™, what would it be? Get out while you still can.

What’s your dream job? I’d love to be covering the Philadephia Flyers for the Philadelphia Daily News.

What’s on your NYC bucket list? ?Leaving for good.

What do you think the best part of a Jesuit education is? ?Inexplicably to me, they turn out a lot of successful people.

Who is your favorite professor at Fordham? Beth Knobel. She’s helped me more professionally and personally than I could have ever hoped for from a professor.

What’s one thing everyone would be surprised to learn about you? I know way more about pop culture than most people would think. My knowledge of ’90s pop music and pop culture is as extensive as you’ll find.

Pick one!
Bronx Zoo or Botanical Gardens? The Zoo.
Arthur Ave/Fordham Road?? Broad St.
Cafeteria or Grille? Grille. The caf is gross.
RamVan or Subway??? Subway, it can help me leave the city.
Met or MoMA? Philadelphia Museum of Art.
Hot Dog or Bagel? Behgal.
Broadway or Off-Broadway? I prefer not to go.
Radio City or Madison Square Garden? The Garden.
Central Park or Brooklyn Bridge? Central Park. I actually like Central Park – one of the city’s few redeeming qualities.

Sarah is a member of the Class of 2013 at Fordham University, where she's a double-major in American Studies and Communication & Media Studies. A South Florida native, she is still adjusting to the cold and figuring out the basics of a winter wardrobe. A huge sports fan, Sarah watches way too much Sportscenter and compensates by watching copious amounts of E!, Gilmore Girls, and Pretty Little Liars. When she's not watching movies or staring at a television screen, she also enjoys blogging, photography, fashion, reading, and bring Pinterest pins to life. Follow her on Twitter @sari_ramirez.