Not-So-Cliché Activities for Winter in NYC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Everybody loves wintertime in New York City!  The lights, decorations and events put even the Grinchiest person into the holiday spirit.  However, it can get very hectic and crowded at the most well known places.  Here are some alternatives to avoid the crowds while still having a great time!

Instead of Ice Skating at Rockefeller Center…. Wollman Rink!

The lines and prices at Rockefeller Center can be overwhelming!  A great alternative is Wollman Rink in Central Park (at 63rd street).  This is even where Blair and her dad skated on Gossip Girl! Although it is less crowded than Rockefeller Center, lines can still be pretty long.  Make sure to get here as early as you can!

An alternative to the Rockefeller Center tree is the tree at Lincoln Center (as all FCLC students already know!).  The fountain and lights will make you feel like you’re at the famous tree in midtown, but the crowds will be much lighter.

Instead of Department Store Windows on 5th Avenue… Boutiques!

The upscale boutiques on the east side on Madison Avenue, or the west side on Broadway can be just as beautiful as the department stores.  Even though they’re, of course, much smaller, they offer a greater diversity.  For example, Brooks Brothers at the corner of 65th St. and Broadway displays classically beautiful decorations.  Each store has unique decorations specific to their brand, whether it be more trendy or classic.  Of course, you have to see the lights at the Shops at Columbus Circle, as well!

Other Must Sees:

The tents at Columbus Circle are great for a quick snack or gifts for friends and family.  You can buy ornaments, jewelry, hats, and even puppets!

Enjoy a nice meal with friends or family. Most restaurants in New York will be decorated during this time and possibly offer something new on their menu.  Although the most popular choice might be Serendipity’s, try someplace new!  There are too many restaurants in New York to suggest any specific one, but if you explore in Hell’s Kitchen, you’ll be certain to find a new type of cuisine (maybe Brazilian or South African!) that you haven’t had before, while also getting into the holiday spirit!

Just walk around and enjoying being in the greatest city in the world during the most magical time of the year!  Every corner of New York offers something new as long as you explore and keep an open-mind.