New York Scary: Halloween in the City

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Like a ghost, Halloween is slowly creeping up on us. While many of us Fordham girls spent our teenage years in the suburbs and knew that Halloween lawn decorations signaled the beginning of the spooky season, we now only have our calendars to remind us of Halloween. Nevertheless, there are tons of events—besides Halloween parties—to get us in the Halloween spirit.

Here’s a short list of suggestions for having a spooktacular Halloween:

Visit the Bronx Zoo
Every October, the Bronx Zoo holds its “Boo at the Zoo” event and decorates the zoo with Halloween decorations. My friend and I just took advantage of the Bronx Zoo’s free admission Wednesdays and went to the zoo to see all of the cute animals. The Bronx Zoo usually puts pumpkins in each of the animal exhibits, so an added bonus, we got to see the cute animals try to carve (read: eat) the pumpkins.

Shop for Costumes on Fordham Road
Without a doubt, a Fordham girl can buy almost anything on Fordham Road. Rather than buy a generic costume, Fordham girls can shop on Fordham road and make a one-of-a-kind creations. Plus, if you decided to buy a dress from Fordham Road to use as your Halloween costume, you may be able to reuse that dress later in the year and save some money.  Several stores on Fordham Road give students discounts, so be sure to ask each store if it is Fordham Friendly.

Find a Haunted House
While New York City is definitely known for its theater district, it also has its share of haunted houses. Since actors usually intern at these houses, the performances are on point and super scary.  Fordham students can go to the famous “Nightmare: Fairy Tales: America’s #1 Haunted House” or if they are super daring “Blackout Haunted House” to get a good scare just in time for Halloween.

Eat at the Jekyll and Hyde Club
Go to Manhattan and grab some dinner at the Jekyll and Hyde Club on Avenue of the Americas. While this restaurant is open year round and serves food while amusing its patrons with live shows and a talking Zeus decoration (seriously, there is a large rotating Zeus statue in the middle to of the restaurant that “talks” customers), it has a special program designed for Halloween. While at the restaurant, a Fordham girl can explore the numerous floors of this building and pretend to be part of Jekyll and Hyde.

Attend the Village Halloween Parade
At one point, every New Yorker should visit the Village Halloween Parade.  During my freshmen year, a group of my friends and I took the subway to the village and watched the parade. While the parade will—without a doubt—be super packed, it will also be filled with people wearing avant-garde and unique costumes. If you go to the parade, be sure to take tons of pictures of all of the “interesting” costumes you see. When I went, I remember seeing a bunch of guys dressed up as bananas descending the stairs of their brownstone. Naturally, my friends and I immediately asked to take a picture with these guys. So, be sure to visit the Village parade and take tons of pictures so you will not fall victim to the phrase “pics or it didn’t happen.”

Go to Six Flags’ Fright Fest
If you live for an adrenaline rush and like roller coasters, be sure to join CAB for its trip to Six Flags Great Adventure. Fright Fest is only around until October 30th, so be sure to go before it is too late.

Get Halloween Candy
Walk over to Walgreens with your roommates and buy Halloween candy for your room. Just because you will not have trick-or-treaters coming to your door does not mean you should not buy some Halloween sweets. If candy is not your thing, you can always go to a bakery on Arthur Ave and get Halloween-inspired baked goods. Remember, Palombo’s gives Fordham students a discount, so if you decide to buy baked goods, be sure to bring your ID.

Scary Movie Marathon
This one’s given, right? Stay in one night and watch scary movies with your friends. Support your Alma Mater by watching The Exorcist and identifying the parts that were shot on the Rose Hill campus.  If you prefer a scary yet funny movie, watch one of the movies from the Scary Movie franchise or try Hocus Pocus.

Now that midterms are winding down, Fordham collegiettes™ can focus on the Halloween season. So, buy a costume, grab some friends, and have a fun and safe Halloween!

Sara Shahmiri is a senior Economics major and a philosophy and business double minor in the Fordham College Honors Program at Fordham University. On campus, Sara is a senior member of the United Student Government Budget Committee, Fordham College President of the Pre-Law Society, and a New Student Orientation Captain. She is also a legal intern at a non-profit in the Bronx. While in college, Sara published her first novel, Rumors, which chronicles the adventures of four high school students who must juggle the responsibility of their academic and social lives. Sara has been writing for Hercampus.com since the fall of 2011 and absolutely loves working with the Her Campus Team!
Claire Cumberland is a sophomore at Fordham University in the Bronx. A communications major, she doesn’t have a singular idea about what she wants to do with her life, but hopes to dabble in many different things before stumbling upon her dream job. She enjoys reading, writing, walking her dog Scout, going to thrift stores, watching television, painting her nails, getting internships, online shopping, and color coding things. Claire has interned at Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation, a charity for childhood cancer established in her hometown of Philadelphia, PA. She also interned at Sesame Workshop as a production intern for The Electric Company, a popular show on PBS. Claire is currently involved in Global Outreach at Fordham University and is an anchor for Fordham Nightly News.