This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

There’s no better way to de-stress from the plethora of exams and papers that come with the fall season than to read a book. Whether you’re looking for a leisurely way to take a break from academics or you’re rushing to complete your 2022 reading challenge, here are 3 must-read books for this fall.

1. The Secret History

This past summer, I read The Secret History by Donna Tartt while I was quarantined in my room with COVID. I finished it in less than 3 days despite the fact that the book is almost 600 pages in length; it’s just that good. If you’re into dark academia, murder mysteries, and thrillers, then you will love The Secret History.

The novel follows a group of Classics students at their pretentious New England college and how their lives are drastically altered after they murder one of their close friends. Tartt is an incredibly gifted writer, evoking the comforting ambiance of a small, New England liberal arts college while simultaneously writing characters so morally-flawed that they charm the reader. Although the novel revolves around a murderous group of friends, The Secret History is, at its core, a book about friendship and belonging. What risks are we willing to take to keep friendships intact? Why do humans have an insistent yearning for acceptance? 

If you’re not convinced yet, here is the first line of The Secret History: “The snow in the mountains was melting and Bunny had been dead for several weeks before we came to understand the gravity of our situation.”

2. Normal people

Normal People by Sally Rooney tells the story of two teenagers, Connell and Marianne, and their journey through adolescence as they weave in and out of each other’s lives. I wouldn’t describe the novel as a romance novel, but rather, a love story. Normal People perfectly encapsulates the rawness of youth and teenage angst (in the least-corny way possible). As a reader, I consistently found myself identifying with Connell and Marianne – resonating with both their triumphs and turmoils. There’s a feeling of sincerity behind each of Connell and Marianne’s interactions which makes it easy for the reader to become invested in their story.

Normal People also has a TV adaptation starring Daisy Edgar-Jones and Paul Mescal. Once you finish the book, you can reward yourself by binge-watching the show. 

3. Everything I never Told you

Celeste Ng’s debut novel, Everything I Never Told You, unravels a family’s secrets after their daughter mysteriously drowns in a nearby lake. The novel guides the reader through the individual stories of each family member, exploring crucial themes such as infidelity, jealousy, and the illusion of the American dream. Marilyn and James are a mixed-race Chinese and Caucasian couple living in small-town Ohio in the 70s, a time when biracial marriages were extremely uncommon. Therefore, race also plays a crucial role in the family dynamic. Everything I Never Told You is a fantastic character portrait, building in complexity the further you read. 

I read all three of these books in only a few sittings; I cannot recommend them enough. So find a cozy reading nook, grab one of these books, and get reading!

Sofia Donohue

Fordham '25

I'm a sophomore majoring in English and history! I love reading and writing, hiking, going out to eat, and hanging out with my dog.