Making the Most of the Caf Food

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

By now, whether you are a settled-in freshman or an eager-to-graduate senior, most of you have probably realized that Fordham’s cafeteria can quickly become tiring. (And lately, it has also been a little newsworthy…)  Of course, it has its moments of delicious entrées and unique eats, but for the most part, students walk in knowing what to expect.  However, you can easily improve your caf experience with a little bit of effort and creativity.  Here is a list of some of my ideas to get crafty in the caf.

Peanut Butter Banana Sandwiches
If you get to the caf early enough in the day to snag one of those coveted bananas, try out this combo:
-Chop the banana
-Toast your bread of choice
-Spread peanut butter on each piece
-Add banana chunks
-Bonus: add chocolate chips from the ice cream section!
This is a delicious protein-packed sandwich for breakfast lunch or dinner!

Café Mocha
Craving a warm chocolate concoction with a bit of caffeine? Simply combine half a cup of coffee and half a cup of hot chocolate and voila!   Other options: combine coffee, chocolate syrup, and milk.  Pair it with a pastry and imagine yourself in a chic French café!

Panini Press
Perhaps some of you have not realized yet, but the deli section of the caf recently added a panini press!  Enjoy your sandwiches hot with melted cheese!  Try a tuna melt or a hot wrap for a toasty midday meal.  One delicious option is a grilled cheese sandwich with tomato and onion.

Perfect Your Pasta
I usually find the pasta to be rather bland and lacking (completely) in toppings.  A solution to this:
-Head to the vegan area and ask for your choice of mixed veggies
-Grab grilled chicken from the burger area
-Mix it all in with the pasta and sauce of your choice
The added flavors from the chicken and veggies spruce up the pasta. Just close your eyes, open your mouth, and whisk yourself away to Arthur Ave!

Chicken Quesadillas
In the mood for Mexican but bored by the cheese quesadillas? Simply cut up and add grilled chicken to the cheese quesadillas for a more fulfilling meal.  You could also consider grabbing tomato from the deli section and avocado from the sushi bar if you have enough time!

A Sweet Treat
We all know that the caf is really lacking in the fruit department.  However, they never fail to provide plump, delicious grapefruit.  Of course, some people find grapefruit too bitter.  If this is the case, sprinkle a bit of sugar or sugar substitute on top for a healthy, tasty treat that’s great for breakfast or dessert!

Breakfast Sandwiches
If you have enough time in the morning to get experimental, try making your own breakfast sandwich.  You can ask for fried eggs from the International section or grab some scrambled eggs from the buffet.  Snag a couple pieces of bacon or sausage as well.  Then, ask for cheese from the deli section and your choice of bread, bagel or wrap.  Finally, put it all together on the Panini press or ask them to heat it in the pizza ovens.

Ice Cream Sandwiches
I know I am prone to those days of sugary cravings and dessert desires.  We all have them and every once in a while it is fine to indulge!  For this yummy treat, grab two cookies from the bakery section and add ice cream or frozen yogurt to the middle.  There you have it, an ice cream sandwich with all your favorite flavors!  (Beware though…it could get messy!)

These are just a few ideas to improve your caf experience.  So next time you step inside, disappointed with the lackluster choices, get your creative juices flowing and don’t be afraid to try something different!  Maybe it will take a bit longer to prepare your meal, but in the end it will be much more satisfying.

Katie is a junior Communication and Media Studies major at Fordham University. Despite going to school in the Bronx, she is a proud Jersey Girl, born and raised in Cedar Grove, NJ. Since the sixth grade, communications has been her passion and main pursuit. She is actively involved in her school's television station and currently anchors the Fordham Nightly News. As a proud Italian-American, she also serves as a National Youth Co-Chair for UNICO, the largest Italian-American service organization in the U.S., and is a two-time scholarship recipient and member of New York Women in Communications. Katie is currently a Digital Media intern at Ralph Lauren. Some of her favorite things are the Jersey Shore (the place, not the TV show), anything chocolate, and the sales racks at Bloomingdales. She is obsessed with Glee, Rob Thomas, and Sophie Kinsella's Confessions of a Shopaholic book series. After graduation, Katie plans on pursuing a career in broadcast journalism or public relations.