Keeping Up With Matt Koehler

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

I could sit here and list all the reasons why I personally love this week’s campus celebrity, but I don’t have time for a novel right now (though I will say we share an affinity for Lauren Conrad, and that explains enough right there). Matt is one of the sweetest, friendliest students you will meet at Fordham. If you don’t have the pleasure of knowing him personally, this interview alone will convince you. Also, he’s got the sassiest hair whip you’ll ever see. 

Name: Matt Koehler

Where are you from? San Diego, CA

What year are you? Senior!

What is your major? Communications & Media Studies with a concentration in TV/Radio

What activities are you involved in? NSO, intramural soccer.  I’m also a student fundraiser at the call center. I used to be a lot more involved on campus but internships took over. 

How did you decide to come to Fordham? Being from the west coast, I always had dreams of coming to New York ever since my first episode of Friends and Sex and the City.  Being in a campus setting close to the city was the cherry on top.  

Do you have any tips for students who are trying to balance schoolwork, extracurriculars, and other obligations like internships? Do what makes you happy.  Staying on top of internships and schoolwork is important but make sure to schedule time to do something you love.  It’ll keep you sane. 

What’s your favorite thing about New York? I feel like I should quote Taylor Swift here…  Everything.  There’s no city that has more culture or betchier TV characters than New York City.

What’s on your NYC bucket list? Host a trendy rooftop party and find Jake Gyllenhaal on the subway. 

Do you have a favorite Fordham memory? Senior nights and Spring Weekends

What’s your favorite class you’ve taken at Fordham? I’m actually taking a film photography class right now at Lincoln Center, and it’s a lot of fun.  It’s something you learn about/do at a lot of other schools or places, so I would encourage anyone to take a class if you’re interested in photography!

Where’s your favorite spot on campus? Is saying Eddie’s too basic?  The Blue Chapel in Keating is beautiful though, and not too many people know about it.

If you could give one piece of advice to a Fordham collegiette, what would it be? Make the most of your time here at Fordham.  Join a new club, attend as many on campus events as possible, and take the time to talk to staff on campus.  

What’s your dream job? I would settle for being a reality television celebrity, but I’m hoping to go into TV production after college.  Ultimately, I want to end up producing somewhere like E! News back on the west coast and be a sassier, Asian version of Andy Cohen. 

What do you think the best part of a Jesuit education is? Gaining a well rounded education to become men and women for others. 

Who is your favorite professor at Fordham? Mike Plugh in the Comm. Department is a wacky, fun guy and I’ve sincerely enjoyed all of my classes with him.  Beth Knobel and Jim Jennewein are some other standouts, and they’ve both had incredibly inspirational careers before becoming professors at Fordham.

What’s one thing everyone would be surprised to learn about you? I always say that I’m adopted for questions like this, but people never expect that I absolutely love country music.  

Pick one!

Bronx Zoo or Botanical Gardens? Botans… so much better for the Insta.

Arthur Ave or Fordham Road? Is this even a question? Arthur Ave!

Cafeteria or Grille? Grille for the food, caf for the people watching.

RamVan or Subway? Ram Van as long as I’m not in the back *insert nail painting emoji here*

Met or MoMA? Duh. Lunch on the steps? xoxo

Hot Dog or Bagel? …Starbucks 

Broadway or Off-Broadway? Despite the tourists, I actually like the glitz and glamour of Broadway.

Radio City or Madison Square Garden? Radio City

Central Park or Brooklyn Bridge? Central Park 

(We accidentally sent Matt this question and he had the best answer ever) What’s your favorite thing about being a student athlete? I’m probably the NARPiest NARP there ever was.

If you could relive one year at Fordham which would it be and why? Freshmen year just to be in Loschert again.

Alyssa is a senior at Fordham University pursuing a major in Communications and Media Studies, and a minor in Spanish. With career goals ranging from digital editor at a major women's magazine, to writing a best selling young adult novel, she has put her skills to the test in many different areas of the communications field.