Journal Prompts for the New Month: October

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

My favorite thing to do at the beginning of the month is take out my journal and reflect on the previous month and plan for the new one ahead. It can be a great way to organize your thoughts and look back on all the things you accomplished and integrated into your life, as well as take a deeper look into what you want to change going forward. I wanted to share some of my favorite journal set ups and prompts for the new month and season ahead to inspire you to start up a new practice in journaling or to refresh any writer’s block! 

New month reflection: 

I like to set up this prompt in a list form to plan ahead and reflect on all the things I accomplished and to take a look at what is and is no longer serving me in my life. Here’s how I set it up: 

October 2021

Intentions and Goals

More of…

1.

2.

3. 

Less of…

1.

2.

3. 

Things I want to accomplish this month: 

1.

2.

3. 

Treat myself to…

1.

2.

3. 

September goals I met…

1.

2.

3.

Things I am grateful for…

1.

2.

3.

Prompts: 

Here is an unexhaustive list of some of my favorite journal prompts! I mix it up between full on journal mind dumps of what’s going on in my life and what’s going through my head and some more organized prompts for self-reflection

1. What uncomfortability are you currently sitting with?
  2. What is your relationship like with and towards rest?
  3. Where do you go when you feel closest to yourself?
  4. Who are you no longer willing to be? Why?
  5. What are you committed to this week? 
  6. List 3 positive habits and how they benefit you.
  7. What is your biggest strength? 
  8. Who are you right now?
  9. What are your wildest dreams? 
  10. What is discouraging you right now, and what can you do to move past it?

You can follow these prompts as strictly or as loosely as you want. The important thing to remember is that you’re doing this for YOU and can make your journal whatever you want it to be!

Meg Cardi

Fordham '22

Meg is an Anthropology major part of the Social Work program at Fordham who has a passion for all things regarding sustainability, fashion and food!