Joseph Taliercio, FCRH ’13

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Name: Joseph Taliercio

Major: Psychology with a minor in Computer Science

Single or Taken: Single

What he’s looking for in a significant other: I don’t mean to sound like I am placing an order but, first off, she has to be both honest and kind – those are, by far, the most important traits.  She should also down-to-earth.  I’m not saying she should be like this in every situation – who doesn’t like to goof off once in a while; however, it is important that she isn’t pretentious.  I enjoy doing simple things: I would hope she would as well.

Why he picked Fordham: 

Unlike some people who can’t wait to escape their homes in college, I was not trying to run away.  I’m from Long Island and have always loved NYC; so every fall Sunday, during my sophomore and junior years of high school, my Dad and I would take trips into and around the city to look at various schools.  I believed Fordham was one of the first schools I saw and I instantly fell in love.  A combination of the colorful autumn trees, the strange-quietness in the air, the dominating-presence of Keating Tower, and finally the feel-good mood that seemed to radiate off of a few student’s playing wiffle ball on Eddies.  I knew before I left that day that I had found my school.

Campus Involvement: 

A few nights a week, I help run the tech that’s required for Fordham Nightly News.  There is nothing like the adrenaline rush that you feel when, five minutes before the show starts, an important, and expensive, piece of equipment decides to stop working.  The second organization that I belong to is FUEMS, where I’m both an ambulance driver and EMT.  Both demand significant time and commitment, however, I couldn’t be happier.  One minute you can be hanging out, playing Mario Kart in the FUEMS office, the next you can be rushing to the hospital in order to save someone’s life.  It’s an awesome experience.  

Hobbies: 

To be honest, my hobbies are rather nerdy (and I’m proud of it!)  I love reading, watching movies, and playing video games.  Also, in general, anything technology-related.  For exercise, I really enjoy martial arts.  Unfortunately, that can be difficult to partake in sometimes.  I also really enjoy listening to music.  I love finding new artists and songs via the Internet…strangely though, this hobby only appears when I’m supposed to be doing homework.

Favorite Pick-Up Line “Excuse me, are you a dementor, ‘cause you’re taking my breath away.” 

What is your guilty pleasure? Without a doubt, blasting and singing to Ke$ha. 

What is one thing that you do not understand about the opposite sex? Two things: 1) Why can girls never go to the bathroom alone? 2) what’s the deal with hair extensions?

What is your hidden talent? I am surprisingly very good with [my memory:] dates, locations, and situations.  I can sometimes recall the exact date and situation in which an event occurred.  For example, I can tell someone we met on Dec. 4, 2009, that he was wearing a hat, and that while the sky was bright blue and clear, the weather was cold.  It is fun to scare people sometimes with this.

If you were forced to sing karaoke, what song would you sing? I don’t need to be forced to sing karaoke.  Just put any song on (that I know at least some of the lyrics to), and I will sing it.  It can be any song.

Do you prefer to make the first move or have her come to you? Preferably her.  I need to work off something.  I don’t want to come off as a random creep.

Goals you want to complete before graduation? There really isn’t much more that I would want.  I hope that by the time I graduate, I would have already been accepted into either a master’s or doctoral program.

Who is your celebrity crush? I’ll admit that I’m a fan of Penélope Cruz.

If you could be a superhero who would you be and why? I would definitely be Wolverine.  I could blend into the crowd; however, when needed I could jump into action with indestructible claws.  If injured, I would automatically heal.  He’s awesome.  

What is the best way a girl can get your attention? I would prefer that a girl was as direct as possible.  I’m not very good with picking up hints.  However, I will pick up the occasional smile, or quick-eye contact.  When noticed, those will keep my attention

What is your flirting technique? I start by making the occasional eye-contact.  When its obvious that she notices, I give a little smile.  If a smile is returned, I will attempt to make small talk.

What is your life motto? “Work hard now, play hard later.”

Sarah is a member of the Class of 2013 at Fordham University, where she's a double-major in American Studies and Communication & Media Studies. A South Florida native, she is still adjusting to the cold and figuring out the basics of a winter wardrobe. A huge sports fan, Sarah watches way too much Sportscenter and compensates by watching copious amounts of E!, Gilmore Girls, and Pretty Little Liars. When she's not watching movies or staring at a television screen, she also enjoys blogging, photography, fashion, reading, and bring Pinterest pins to life. Follow her on Twitter @sari_ramirez.