Jesuits at Fordham: Debunking the Misconceptions, Part Two

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Think you know everything about the Jesuits? Think again. Last week, Her Campus Fordham introduced you to Father Michael Tueth, whose interview helped to shed some light on what Jesuits at Fordham are really like. As promised, here’s part two of his interview:

How has the role of Jesuits on campus changed over the years? 
The role of the Jesuits at Fordham hasn’t changed that much over the years.  There are fewer of us and the university has grown significantly, so the percentage of Jesuits among the faculty and staff has gone down. But, we’re still all over the place.  We’re harder to spot because many of us don’t wear the clerical outfit with the Roman collar all the time, as we were accustomed to do in the olden days.  I think that we blend in more than we did before and we have less official power or clout than we used to.   I remember a Jesuit remarking that in the past (about 30 years ago) there were too many of us at Fordham and we were stumbling all over each other.  Now there are fewer, and maybe that’s better.   People used to talk about being “brainwashed” by Jesuits in college.  Now we don’t have that kind of power, and we don’t need it.  We are here to serve the university, not to be in charge of everything or to overpower the students.  (The one exception to this pattern is the man who is definitely in charge of the whole operation, Father McShane.)

What do you think is the most common misconception about Jesuits at Fordham?
The biggest misconception about Jesuits on campus is that we determine many of the policies, especially in the area of Student Life.  I have found over my 15 years at Fordham that often, when the Student Life office announces an unpopular policy, they invoke the Jesuits as the source of their decisions.  A perfect example is the Student Life’s refusal to support “The Vagina Monologues.”   They say that the Jesuits are opposed to the play.  I have never been consulted personally nor have I attended a Jesuit meeting where this topic was brought up.  So how can they say that we Jesuits oppose something when we were never consulted on the matter?   I would like to go on record as saying that I support “The Vagina Monologues,” and have plenty of documentation to support my view as a Jesuit.  But nobody has ever asked me about it.  Sometimes they say that “the Jesuit character” of the university support or oppose some policy.  I would like them to cite the document that says that the Jesuits feel this way.  I have never seen that happen.

Secondly, there is still the perception that the university administration is a bunch of Jesuits.  I occasionally hear my fellow faculty members blame “the Jesuits” for some policy they don’t like.  What they should be saying is that the UNIVERSITY ADMINISTRATION is responsible for the policy, and the only Jesuit members of the university administration are the President, Fr. Joseph McShane, the Dean of the College at Lincoln Center, Fr. Robert Grimes, S.J., FCRH Assistant Dean for Seniors, Rev. John Dzieglewicz, S.J., and Assistant Dean for First Year Students, Rev. Vincent DeCola, S.J.   If they support a certain policy or object to something, it should be stated in that way: “The President or the Dean have a certain opinion,” not ‘The Jesuits’.”

Why do you think a Jesuit education is so important?
Why is a Jesuit education so important?  Because Fordham is part of the Jesuit tradition that has been around for almost 500 years, so we must be doing something right. Because, as you will notice, the possession of a degree from a Jesuit institution commands a lot of respect in so many circles. Because besides soaking up so much of human experience, wisdom, and creativity, one also learns to question and explore issues freely and thoughtfully.  Because one can become part of a community of young people who value studying, helping each other, forming lifetime friendships, and enjoying life to the full.  Because one can begin to prepare for a meaningful career and fulfilling personal life. Because our students are expected and encouraged to see the poor and the marginalized as our sisters and brothers.  Because there is a belief that our education can empower us to change the world for the better.  Because the Jesuit vision is centered around Jesus Christ and his commandment of love. Four years of all that is bound to change one’s life and one’s plans for the future.  Just some thoughts.

As told to Katie Corrado.

Katie is a junior Communication and Media Studies major at Fordham University. Despite going to school in the Bronx, she is a proud Jersey Girl, born and raised in Cedar Grove, NJ. Since the sixth grade, communications has been her passion and main pursuit. She is actively involved in her school's television station and currently anchors the Fordham Nightly News. As a proud Italian-American, she also serves as a National Youth Co-Chair for UNICO, the largest Italian-American service organization in the U.S., and is a two-time scholarship recipient and member of New York Women in Communications. Katie is currently a Digital Media intern at Ralph Lauren. Some of her favorite things are the Jersey Shore (the place, not the TV show), anything chocolate, and the sales racks at Bloomingdales. She is obsessed with Glee, Rob Thomas, and Sophie Kinsella's Confessions of a Shopaholic book series. After graduation, Katie plans on pursuing a career in broadcast journalism or public relations.