Irene-ientation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Everyone remembers those first stressful days of freshman year. Often dubbed “the three most awkward days of your entire life”, orientation is normally already a storm of emotions. Freshmen and transfers are already struggling with homesickness, confusion about finding FMH, excitement about new friends, and fear of the dreaded cafeteria food. Tossing in an actual natural disaster to this year’s New Student Orientation made the class of 2015 a force to be reckoned with.

From the perspective of the NSO leaders, it seemed like Mother Nature had it out for orientation. Just days before orientation was scheduled, a freakish earthquake shook the Northeast. Orientation leaders who had the foresight to check the weather for freshman move-in day were somewhat off-put by the realization that they would be carrying boxes and refrigerators in gale force winds and pelting rain.

NSO underwent a few changes in order to make way for Irene, including switching the scheduling of a few events. Though it made an already hectic experience slightly more scattered, the freshman still seemed to have a normal orientation experience. The staples of what makes orientation great were still there- the new people, the free swag, the candle lighting ceremony, and the Ed Gerety lecture all went on as planned.

If nothing else, this year’s New Student Orientation introduced this freshman class as one to look out for. They certainly entered with a bang, and brought along one infamous classmate. Irene will forever remain an unforgettable member of the class of 2015. This freshman class seems like they’ve got the perfect storm of talent, ambition, drive and ability to adapt to make their mark on Fordham’s campus- just like Irene did. 

PhotoCredit: Stephen Moccia/ The Ram

Claire Cumberland is a sophomore at Fordham University in the Bronx. A communications major, she doesn’t have a singular idea about what she wants to do with her life, but hopes to dabble in many different things before stumbling upon her dream job. She enjoys reading, writing, walking her dog Scout, going to thrift stores, watching television, painting her nails, getting internships, online shopping, and color coding things. Claire has interned at Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation, a charity for childhood cancer established in her hometown of Philadelphia, PA. She also interned at Sesame Workshop as a production intern for The Electric Company, a popular show on PBS. Claire is currently involved in Global Outreach at Fordham University and is an anchor for Fordham Nightly News.