I Watched 5 Oscar-Nominated Movies in 12 Hours

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

I arrive at the AMC Empire theater in Times Square for day 2 of the annual Best Picture Showcase. It is 9:45 AM and although I thought I was ready for the roller coaster of emotions that is this year’s nominees, I could not have been more wrong.

10:00 AM

The first film of the day is none other than what would be crowned Best Picture approximately 38 hours later – Moonlight. It’s safe to say the day started out strong. The only movie I had seen prior to the event was La La Land, and I was unaware of the storylines for every other movie. I knew I was excited for Moonlight because of all the buzz that had been slowly building about it possibly sneaking up on La La Land for the top award of the night. While I found La La Land to be incredibly dynamic and beautifully executed, after watching Moonlight, it’s clear why this $1.5 million budget film took home the big win. (Image Source)

12:15 PM

After the turmoil that Moonlight put me through, I knew I was in for quite the ride. What better way to heal the heartbreak than with a movie that is equally as emotional? Next up, Lion. This is the one I was probably looking forward to the most. I mean, try to tell me that Dev Patel and Sunny Pawar aren’t the cutest duo around. But on a serious note, Lion is an incredible movie about a touching true story, and it was hands down my favorite of the night. I was a puddle of tears by the end of this movie. I had to really hold it together to keep from getting into my “ugly cry,” it was such an overwhelming combination of happiness and sorrow. (Image Source)

2:35 PM

Hacksaw Ridge. I’m not one for war movies, so I was a little nervous to say the least. The first half of the movie was actually driven by an adorable love story, but about halfway through, it took a turn. I don’t do well with violence and gore, but somehow I managed to make it through. Okay, okay, I did keep my hands very close to my face to ensure I could shelter my eyes from the horror of war at a moment’s notice. That being said, I liked the movie more than I thought I would due to the unbelievably inspiring true story. (Image Source)

After Hacksaw, we had about an hour-long break before the marathon continued, so I used the time to collect my thoughts and emotions and pick up some much-needed food. Popcorn and soda were simply not cutting it at this point. I was also pleasantly surprised to learn that every attendee got a free shirt along with our lanyard pass!

6:00 PM

It was time for Arrival. Again, I didn’t know much about it except for the fact that it is a sci-fi movie. The film was captivating, but also confusing. If there’s anyone out there who’s seen Arrival and actually understood the ending, please give me the rundown. Amy Adams pulls out an amazing performance, but the movie fell a little flat for me simply because I don’t think I have the mind for science fiction. (Image Source)

8:30 PM

Still going strong. I’m starting to feel a little tired, but I am excited to watch something a little more uplifting – Hidden Figures. This tale of three remarkable women who changed the course of history is a tale that needs to be told. Hidden Figures was everything I’d hoped it would be. Funny, smart, and empowering, it was the perfect end to the night. In case you missed it, the real-life Katherine Goble made an appearance at the Oscars, and it was everything. (Image Source)

Overall, I’d do it again in a heartbeat. It was a day full of love, loss, and triumph illustrated through some of the best pictures of our time. Thanks to CAB, the ticket was free, and I actually felt in-the-know when I sat down and watched all four hours of the Academy Awards last night. Next time, maybe I’ll take it a step further and sign up for AMC’s full 24 hour marathon that showcases every single nominee.

Sophia is a sophomore from Houston, Texas majoring in Marketing and minoring in Film & Television at Fordham University. When she is not in class you can find her watching Survivor, listening to true crime podcasts, or wandering around New York City in search of her next favorite sweet treat.