I Didn’t Wear Leggings Or Sweats For A Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Pictured left: Day 3 of the no leggings struggle, which really wasn’t a struggle at this point. Pictured right: Cheating the system on Day 4 and a shameless plug for my unoriginal Halloween costume.

I am a leggings/yoga pants/sweats fanatic. I can’t remember the last time I went more than 3 days without wearing them, let alone an entire week. So, being the masochist that I am, I decided it was a great idea to suffer through a week without them and document how awful it is so you don’t have to experience it first hand.

Day 1:

I woke up optimistic about the day, and the second I realized that it was raining and I had to put on jeans, my mood turned around. I only had one class today, and of course it’s at 8:30 in the morning, so my usual day of relaxation was ruined by denim. I somehow mustered the energy to go to the library to do my Theology readings, which are bad enough on their own and a million times worse while wearing jeans. It’s going to be a long week.

Day 2:

The weather today was perfect, so I wasn’t even upset when I had to put on my jeans. I use the term jeans loosely here, because the pants I wore today were barely even jeggings. They have a button and a zipper and that’s good enough for me. Maybe this week won’t be so bad after all…

Day 3:

I feel like I’m really cheating the system at this point. While I did wear jeans to class and while I was hanging out during the day, I snuck in a nap or two and wore shorts. That’s not against the rules, right? I also dressed up as a witch for night one of Halloweekend and wore a dress, but I was wearing heels, so I think the pain from that was worse than anything jeans could have caused.

Day 4:

I really cheated today. I stayed in my pajamas practically all day and didn’t put on jeans until absolutely necessary. Even then, I wore them for all of 4 hours to the Halloween parade in Greenwich before I put on another dress for my costume. Jeans time today was minimized and I feel really rejuvenated.

Day 5:

While I did spend most of my day in bed doing homework that I neglected all weekend, I wore jeans for most of it! I don’t know what has gotten into me, but I actually don’t mind wearing jeans that much anymore. It all took a turn for the worst when I got a ranch veggie burger at Simon’s and a huge ranch stain on my pants. I am now running low on jeans, I have two days left, and I’m way too lazy to do laundry.

Day 6:

I have resorted to wearing my least favorite pair of jeans. They’re an awkward length and all around uncomfortable, but I sucked it up for research. I didn’t actually put them on until the late afternoon because I didn’t have class, so it wasn’t as miserable as I thought it would be. The fact that there is only one day left of this torture makes me want to shed a tear of joy. I miss my leggings.

Day 7:

Getting up for my 8:30 and putting on jeans was the last thing I wanted to do today, but I did it and I survived. Tuesdays are my busiest days class wise, so I didn’t think about my hatred for jeans and general discomfort too much. I cheated the system and wore shorts again when I took a nap, but I think I deserve it after this physically taxing week.

Overall, jeans aren’t that bad, but the thought of giving up leggings, yoga pants, and sweats forever deeply saddens me. I do have to give major props to people who love jeans and wear them every day; I’ll be over here admiring your strength in my leggings.  

Kate is a sophomore at Fordham University majoring in Journalism and minoring in Computer Science. She hopes to someday make watching reality TV, reading tabloids, and scrolling through social media a career as a pop culture journalist. As a New Jersey native, she appreciates great pizza, bagels, and beaches, but she loves everything New York City has to offer even more.