I Attended the Women’s March on NYC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Today, more than one million people across the world took a stand. More than one million people from all walks of life came together to let their voices be heard. Pure – and very pink – joy lit up social media, and packed the streets of cities like Washington D.C., Los Angeles, Boston, London, Barcelona and our home, New York City. I was fortunate enough to be here in NYC for this incredible Women’s March, and take part in New York City’s takeback of the American female.

By the time I stepped off the platform at Grand Central, I could feel the energy spilling in from the surrounding streets. People were waving signs and supporting their fellow marchers, exchanging hugs and encouraging one another to never lose faith. There were chants and cheers lead by all-female drumlines and a sweeping sensation of hope. Seeing almost half a million people marching across Midtown Manhattan towards President Donald Trump’s Fifth Avenue residence was beyond surreal. As we marched, it did not take very long to come to see why this historic demonstration was vital to our progress as a global community. People from all beliefs, regions and age groups walked together for a common goal: a brighter future.

Countless children walked with their parents, many of them with signs thanking the march for helping protect their future. A particular instance of this was a ten year old girl standing atop a Madison Avenue streetlight holding a sign reading “THE FUTURE IS FEMALE.” Her father looking up at her with pride and a hoard of marchers stopping to take her photo, she embodied what this whole movement is about. If we disagree with what’s happening here, it is up to no one but us to make the change. This hopeful and ready-to-fight young girl represented the millions of children who are going to be growing up in Trump’s America. There will be attempts to divide us like never before, but if people continue to care the way they did today, these attempts will be unsuccessful. If these unprecedented marches are any indication of the determination and resilience of the female spirit, you can guarantee it won’t be long before we put a woman in the White House and change history forever.

Christina is a member of the class of 2018 at Fordham University, pursuing a major in Communications and Media Studies. Some of her favorite things include Sex and the City re-runs, dogs and pretending Zayn is still a member of One Direction.