Life > Experiences

How to Maintain A Relationship with Your Parents at School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

It may seem as though the spring semester is quickly passing us by. Yes, we are in a month in already. For many of us at Fordham, we haven’t seen our parents since the second week of January, and many of us will not see them until March. 

So, what can we do to remain in close contact with our families? And why should we do so? 

Many of us are feeling the stresses of the spring semester and want to reach out to our parents for encouragement and assistance. If you have a close relationship with your parents, you may be reading this and know just how easy it is to text, call, or FaceTime each day. But if you find yourself not talking to them that often, or not as often as you would like to, here are some quick solutions:

• Picking up the phone to call your parents about your classes, whether they will respond with concern or praise, will show them that you’re invested in your curriculum and you’re dedicated to the work you’re doing here. You present yourself as interested in the material, and you prove to them your learning process and the financial and time commitment required of college is valuable.
  • Don’t be afraid to talk to your parents about friends or relationships! We are adults now – establish a mature relationship with your parents. Prove to them you’re analyzing the people you choose to surround yourself with. If you are uncomfortable doing this, you can always try to be more open about your feelings and the reasons why you’re feeling a certain way. Sharing how you feel with your parents allows a sense of vulnerability to come out and thus consequential mutual respect. 
  • Ask your parents for career advice! This can be little things, such as reviewing your resume, having them help you pick out an interview outfit, or advice on the most appropriate career-centered classes to take. Your parents have been through this process before. They want to help you along the way. Use them as a resource, instead of refusing to talk out of fear of dependence. They can offer a wide array of helpful advice and connections you previously may have had no knowledge of if you hadn’t bothered to ask!
  • Ask them how they de-stress. Many adults have a relaxing escape, particularly with children out of the house and more opportunities for downtime. Get to know their favorite downtime routines and understand how to cope with college stress.

Sure, the distance between you and your parents may be far as of right now, but using technology to your advantage is the best alternative to understand your parents are a guide to your success and a true influence in your college experience and ultimate development.

For once, someone is telling you to pick up your phone.

Emily Dwelle

Fordham '21

Fordham University Senior. History Major and Marketing and Journalism Minors. Preschool Volunteer and interests in social issues and entertainment. HerCampus Tutor, Writer, Photography Director.