This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

So you just moved in to your new off-campus apartment, which you have spent countless hours organizing, decorating, and cleaning. You are proud of your set up and eager to show it off to guests, but you are nervous people will leave a mess and you aren’t sure where to begin. Fear no more! Below are an assortment of tips and tricks for hostess-ing various get-togethers your guests will surely remember.

Game Day
Football season has started and baseball is in full swing. Sporting events are a great excuse to invite your girls and guy friends over for some snacks and entertainment.

Seats
An important thing to consider for a game viewing party is the number of seats you will need. Keep in mind that some guests will be captivated by the game, while others might be less involved. Try to have enough seats facing the TV in order to accommodate all your guests.

Snacks 

Watching sports and grubbing on snacks pretty much go hand-in-hand. The easiest solution is to buy a couple bags of tortilla chips and various dips such as salsa, guacamole, and queso dip. If you want to serve hot food as well, browse the frozen section of a grocery store for easy finger foods.

Drinks
While you are not responsible for providing all your guests with booze, it is a nice touch for a hostess feeling particularly generous. Bottled beer looks like you pulled out all the stops, but your friends will surely be happy enough with free cans.

Birthday Party
What better excuse is there to throw a party then a friend’s birthday?! This type of party will likely be more rowdy than a game viewing so be prepared for that.

Party-proof
Make sure anything valuable or fragile is stored away somewhere safe. Make sure your apartment is extra clean and put anything away you don’t want people to spill on and tuck away anything expensive.

Food
What is a birthday party without some cake? Bake something tasty and slice it up for your guests after singing happy birthday to the girl of the night. Snacks might also be a good idea if you don’t want tipsy guest’s raiding your kitchen.

Drinks
Jell-o shots are a fun birthday treat, so make a few different flavors. Consider these a party favor! Providing alcohol for a whole party is quite pricey, so you might want to tell your guests it is a BYOB party.

Lighting
Nothing kills the mood quite like bright blaring lights. If you don’t have a dimmer or dim lamp, consider covering your lights with thin cloth to bring down the brightness. Other options to consider are festive black lights or strobe lights to create a club-like vibe.

Music
Music is the best way to set the tone for your party. Make a playlist in advance or ask one of your more musically inclined friends to DJ. Make sure you have some strong speakers.

Trash/Recycling
If you don’t want your apartment getting trashed, it is wise to put large bins labeled “Recycling” and “Trash” in an obvious location. If your guests know where trash goes, they will very likely dispose of it there.

Dinner Date
Maybe a chill evening with your boyfriend and another couple or two is more up your alley. Or maybe you want to delight your girlfriends and show-off your culinary skills with a yummy dinner and dessert. A dinner party is a much calmer vibe and requires different preparations.

Dinner
Look up recipes in advance and give yourself plenty of time to cook before your guests arrive. If you aren’t exactly a chef in the making, try Trader Joe’s pre-cooked dinners. They are all very delicious and usually very healthy. For dessert try their reduced-guilt brownies!

Drinks
Homemade sangria is fun to make and totally tasty! Find the recipe that appeals to you most and mix it all up in a clear pitcher. This drink adds a grown-up feel to your dinner and is sure to satisfy.

Music
Make a playlist of calm music to play softly in the background. You don’t want the volume to overpower your conversations, but a touch of music creates a warm atmosphere.

Movie/Game
Once dinner is over, your guests might not be ready to leave. Have some form of entertainment prepared such as a DVD or game of charades.

Award Show
Whether it’s the MTV Video Music Awards or the Oscars, award shows are an exciting and glamorous event to take-in with your friends. Invite your friends over for a viewing party, but make sure everyone comes in time to watch the Red Carpet!

Seats
Once again, seats are important for any event that involves gathering around the television. Make sure you have enough spots for every guest to comfortably watch the screen.

Hors D’ouvres
Cheap but tasty hors d’ouvres are in abundance in the frozen food section of a grocery store. Cook them in advanced and arrange them decoratively on a platter. These miniature treats feel dainty and sophisticated and go perfectly with the event.

Champagne
Awards shows are a fanciful celebration of entertainer’s successes, and what’s a celebration without champagne? Provide juice for guests to add a splash of fruity flavor.

Prizes
If you are competitive, it might be fun to have everyone bet on who will win each category before the show starts. The girl who gets the most right gets the prize! See if your girls will each contribute a couple dollars beforehand to buy the prize. Prizes could be anything from candy to a pair of earrings.

Hostess-ing can be fun and stress-free if you prepare properly in advanced. Make sure to “guest-imate” the number of attendees so you can accommodate them all. It is important to party-proof beforehand and lay out any ground rules for your guests. So get ready to show off your sweet new digs, just make sure you’re ready!

Claire Cumberland is a sophomore at Fordham University in the Bronx. A communications major, she doesn’t have a singular idea about what she wants to do with her life, but hopes to dabble in many different things before stumbling upon her dream job. She enjoys reading, writing, walking her dog Scout, going to thrift stores, watching television, painting her nails, getting internships, online shopping, and color coding things. Claire has interned at Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation, a charity for childhood cancer established in her hometown of Philadelphia, PA. She also interned at Sesame Workshop as a production intern for The Electric Company, a popular show on PBS. Claire is currently involved in Global Outreach at Fordham University and is an anchor for Fordham Nightly News.