Her Royal Collegiette™

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Since her wedding in April, Kate Middleton has been taking the world by storm. She’s graced the cover of countless magazines, worked on charities, and even taken a tour across the Atlantic. Still in her twenties, Princess Kate can be a great model for all collegiettes™ and can help teach us all a thing or two about fashion.  

Here’s a list of style tips Kate Middleton can teach us, collegiettes™:  

Skirts Are In

Kate Middleton can be viewed as a model for collegiettes’ ™ fashion . While we all love seeing Fashion week designs, we know full well that we cannot wear these avant-garde outfits to class.  That’s where Kate comes in. Kate Middleton has always been a style icon because she wears normal (yet stylish) clothing. Whether she is dressing for class, a sporting event, or even a royal engagement, Kate is dressed to the nines. Throughout the years, Kate has shown an affinity for skirts and has different types to match the weather.  She usually wears wool skirts in the winter and flowy thin skirts in the spring. Recently, Kate has been wearing tons of blue; however, she has skirts in many colors and tries to coordinate her skirt with her whole outfit. Once picking her mid-length skirts, Kate usually finishes her look with nude or black tights.

Have a Handy Pair of Boots

Kate is a big fan of boots and is often photographed in her signature black velour knee-length boots.  As any collegiette™ knows, it is always great to have a signature piece that can be tied into any outfit to give it a personal touch. Plus, the more a collegiette™ wears a certain type of shoe, the more time she has to break it in to make it super comfortable. As an added bonus boots are easy to walk in and are usually waterproof, so they can help collegiettes™ combat unexpected rainstorms.

It’s Okay to Recycle Outfits

If Anna Wintour and Kate Middleton think it is okay to recycle an outfit, then you should too. Kate, though always fashion conscious, knows a good thing when she sees it and disregards gossip magazines criticisms of reusing outfits by recycling her favorite pieces. Collegiettes™ —who are faced with tiny dorm room closets and crunched student budgets—should take this advice to heart and reuse their already fashionable outfits.

Don’t Swear by Premium Designers

Who doesn’t love buying designer duds? We love to and so does Kate Middleton. But luckily, Kate Middleton can teach us that not all of our outfits have to be premium designer. While Kate has her fair share of top designer outfits, she also buys clothing from chains such as ZARA. Any collegiettes™ looking up to Kate can learn that fashion does not have to cost a fortune and that fabulous outfits can be found at all stores.

Share Clothing with Siblings

Kate and Pippa Middleton share more than just a mutual love of running; they also share clothing. Kate and Pippa know that two closets are better than one and have been photographed wearing the same outfits.

Accessorize, Accessorize, Accessorize

Kate knows that accessories make the outfit and always adds accessories to give her outfits a polished look. While Kate always wears her fabulous engagement and wedding rings, she has been seen wearing everything from earrings and necklaces to brooches and fancy hats. While Kate knows the value of accessories, she is careful to avoid bold accessories and keeps items simple and subdued. 

Bold Isn’t Always the Answer

While Kate definitely knows that bold prints are fun and has been spotted in several patterned designs, she usually wears solid colors and sticks to many neutrals. Kate also keeps her make-up natural and usually wears peach blush and mostly focuses on her eyes. Even when it comes to her nails, Kate usually chooses a subtle shade of pink polish. However, Kate keeps her solid colored wardrobe interesting and playful by wearing lace detailing, button-adored clothing, and fitting tops. 

Invest In a Pair of Heels

This final rule may be slightly unnecessary, because I’m sure most collegiettes™ do not need another reason to buy a pair of heels. Though Kate Middleton is tall, she usually wears heels to formal events. Kate alternates between her black wedges and stilettos. Kate usually wears neutral colored shoes that can be easily worn with many outfits.

Throughout the past year, Kate Middleton has made a huge splash in the fashion industry and has become quit the fashion icon. Many bloggers have decided to devote sites to her personal style and many designers have even renamed their designs after Princess Kate. Without a doubt, most collegiettes™ have wanted to be a princess; thanks to Kate, we all now know how to dress like one. 

Sara Shahmiri is a senior Economics major and a philosophy and business double minor in the Fordham College Honors Program at Fordham University. On campus, Sara is a senior member of the United Student Government Budget Committee, Fordham College President of the Pre-Law Society, and a New Student Orientation Captain. She is also a legal intern at a non-profit in the Bronx. While in college, Sara published her first novel, Rumors, which chronicles the adventures of four high school students who must juggle the responsibility of their academic and social lives. Sara has been writing for Hercampus.com since the fall of 2011 and absolutely loves working with the Her Campus Team!
Claire Cumberland is a sophomore at Fordham University in the Bronx. A communications major, she doesn’t have a singular idea about what she wants to do with her life, but hopes to dabble in many different things before stumbling upon her dream job. She enjoys reading, writing, walking her dog Scout, going to thrift stores, watching television, painting her nails, getting internships, online shopping, and color coding things. Claire has interned at Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation, a charity for childhood cancer established in her hometown of Philadelphia, PA. She also interned at Sesame Workshop as a production intern for The Electric Company, a popular show on PBS. Claire is currently involved in Global Outreach at Fordham University and is an anchor for Fordham Nightly News.