Great Date Ideas in New York City

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

While dinner and a movie is an obvious classic, it is nice to switch up your date routine with new activities. With summer quickly approaching, try something outdoorsy or seasonal. You can learn a lot about your date and the bond you have through date activities like:

Taking a Scenic Walk
The weather is beautiful and the trees are in full bloom. Get some light cardio and enjoy time to chat with a walk along the beach, through Central Park, or in the Botanical Gardens.  While movies don’t allow for much conversation, going for a scenic walk gives you a great opportunity to chat and learn about each other.  The constantly changing scenery keeps your brain active and your mind fresh, so awkward silences are less likely.

Go to the Dog Park
If you or your date has a dog, treat the pooch to social hour at a local dog park. You can walk around or play fetch and soak up the summer rays. Watching the dogs interact with each other can be hilarious and makes for fun and easy conversation. Being surrounded by happy and loving animals will rub off on both of you and will surely result in a fun and memorable date.

Music Festival
There are tons of music festivals throughout the country this summer with multiple stages and all kinds of funky booths to look at. Whether you go with a mutual group of friends or just with your boy, you will surely enjoy great beats, delicious food, and unparalleled people-watching. You will remember this event forever, and you might even get the chance to dance with your crush!

Jigsaw Puzzle
On a rainy day, a jigsaw puzzle is a great way to bond with your boy.  It is a mind-stimulating challenge, which will keep you both zoned in and mentally stimulated, but since you are working together you will feel a sense of teamwork and friendship.

Cook Together
Cooking is a great interactive activity and is a perfect task for two people.  Put on a fun playlist and put your chef skills to the test.  Once the meal is done, the two of you can enjoy the satisfaction of sitting down and enjoying your delicious work. It’s cheap, fun, and let’s you show off your creativity and precision.

Baseball Game
My boyfriend is a huge New York Mets fan, while I am an avid San Francisco Giants fan.  So, every year we watch them play each other when the Giants are in New York.  Whether you are fans of the same or different teams, sporting events have a friendly competitive aspect, which boys always love.  Unlike watching a movie, the two of you can chat throughout; however, the game also offers an opportunity to escape awkward silence and zone in on the sport.

Hit up a Bookstore
When we don’t have much to do and not much money to spend, my boyfriend and I like to head to a nearby Borders or Barnes and Nobles.  We each grab a couple magazines and coffee and read at tables in the store.  It’s fun to share what we read about and show each other interesting photos or facts from the magazines. This is a great way to learn about each other as well as to learn new things together.

Essentially, it is important to switch up your date routines to keep things memorable and fresh.  Try something interactive that allows for conversation.  Some date ideas are expensive and well worth the cost, but you can also have a great time on a budget or with no money at all. So give some of these ideas a shot, or use them as inspiration and brainstorm your own unique ideas.

Katie is a junior Communication and Media Studies major at Fordham University. Despite going to school in the Bronx, she is a proud Jersey Girl, born and raised in Cedar Grove, NJ. Since the sixth grade, communications has been her passion and main pursuit. She is actively involved in her school's television station and currently anchors the Fordham Nightly News. As a proud Italian-American, she also serves as a National Youth Co-Chair for UNICO, the largest Italian-American service organization in the U.S., and is a two-time scholarship recipient and member of New York Women in Communications. Katie is currently a Digital Media intern at Ralph Lauren. Some of her favorite things are the Jersey Shore (the place, not the TV show), anything chocolate, and the sales racks at Bloomingdales. She is obsessed with Glee, Rob Thomas, and Sophie Kinsella's Confessions of a Shopaholic book series. After graduation, Katie plans on pursuing a career in broadcast journalism or public relations.