This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Each time of year brings its own joys: beach days in the summer, skiing in the winter, planting flowers in the spring. However, in my opinion, fall is the best season. Hands down. The warm smells of pumpkin, apples, cinnamon combined with chunky sweaters, flannel scarves, bonfires, football season, and Thanksgiving, it is just the best time of year.

We are so used to fall in our hometowns that the idea of fall in college can feel different and maybe not as exciting. However, the easiest solution to feeling cozy and homey in the fall: decorate your dorm!! I’m going to share some easy tips for decorating guaranteed to get you in the mood for apple cider donuts and haunted hayrides.

1. Christmas Lights

This one is easy. A large number of college students have white string lights hanging up in their dorms. Make an effort of keeping these lit up throughout the day, and it will add a nice, warm glow to your room. If you haven’t hopped on the string light train yet, don’t worry. You can buy them a stores like Target, Walmart, or online on Amazon Prime. They are very cheap too, usually around $4-5.

Pictured here is my dorm. I think the string lights add such a nice glow to any space.

2.  Shop around the Dollar Store, Drug Store, or Dollar Isle at Target

This is a trick that my Target obsession has shown me. They have so many cool little things in their little isle as you walk in the store, depending on the season they might have scarves, bowls, school supplies, tech accessories, and often times decorations. And, the best part is, everything is either $1, $3, $5, or $7. The other day, I found a cute little pumpkin for my desk for only $1, an my roommate found a pretty fall sign for only $5! They are both pictured below.

Target dollar aisle dorm decor!  

3. Room Spray!

This may not technically count as decor, but I think it should!! A good smelling room adds so much to the overall vibe. Unfortunately, we aren’t allowed to have candles or wax melters in the dorms. Luckily, it’s so easy to do with another method. Room sprays are sold everywhere, from drug stores to Target to TJ Maxx to Amazon. TJ Maxx will often have pumpkin, cinnamon, and other sweet fall smells for around $5. Drug stores such as Walgreens also carry room sprays. My personal favorite is Glade Cinnamon Apple. Just a little spritz and you are transported to an apple orchard.

Sweet fall scents in an instant!

4. Bonus DIY! Make your own Fall Collage

You may think collages belong in third grade art class, but I promise they are a fun, easy way to spice up your room any time of year, especially during the fall. Think flannels, pumpkins, coffee and tea, boots and sweatshirts. Anything that makes you think of fall days: include it!! You can be creative with the way you assemble your photos, whether you want to use a cork board, washi tape, string and clothespins, it’s up to you. If you’re feeling especially creative, you could use paperclips to attach your pictures along your string of white lights!

Hi! I'm from Durham, New Hampshire which is about four hours from Fordham. I love playing with my dog, Gus, drinking iced coffee, and spending way too much money online shopping. I am very close with my family, friends, and boyfriend who all live in NH so I like to visit home often.