Crudites
Crudites
Christin Urso / Spoon

Easy Plant Based Meals for College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Following a whole food, plant-based or vegan diet can be tricky, especially as a college student. Our diet is the most important factor in human health, so it’s extremely important to be aware of what you’re putting in your body. With the stress of a busy schedule, cooking or even thinking about your next meal is the last thing to cross a college student’s mind. Listed below are 15 easy plant-based recipes and snacks that are budget-friendly, tasty and easy to make! 

Overnight Oats

Oats are a super filling, versatile and easy breakfast perfect for busy mornings. Here is a great recipe to start with, but feel free to mix things up and try different fruits and flavorings!

Three Ingredient Pancakes

These vegan pancakes (with a gluten-free option!) are super delicious and only require a few basic ingredients. All you need are bananas, dairy-free milk, and oats and you have the perfect breakfast! These taste great with some added cinnamon and topped with syrup, nut butter, or different fruits.

Chia Pudding 

Chia pudding is a great recipe to have on hand that tastes great by itself with some fruit or added into yogurt and oats. 

Homemade Granola

This is my absolute favorite granola recipe and is a perfect snack and goes great with yogurt and fruit in the morning. 

Green Smoothie

Smoothies are a great way to load up on fruits and veggies in one sitting. Dates, nut butter, and hemp or flax seeds are a great addition for extra flavor and protein!

Protein Balls 

These protein balls are a great snack and they’re perfect for taking on the go. All they need are a few basic ingredients and can be reimagined in so many different ways! 

Avocado Toast

Avocado toast definitely isn’t anything new or revolutionary, but it is still delicious and can be reimagined in so many different ways. Here is a great set of some reimagined avocado toasts. Hummus toast is also a great option too for some extra protein!

Loaded Sweet Potato 

Sweet potatoes are a great staple to have in any kitchen and are so nutritious and filling. Here is a great loaded sweet potato recipe with kale, black beans, and a green goddess dressing. 

Roasted Veggie Pasta Salad 

Pasta is such a quick and easy meal that can be changed up in so many ways. This is a great pasta recipe packed with tons of veggies and flavors. If you’re gluten-free or want to add in some extra protein, chickpea pasta is a great addition and tastes great too. If you don’t have access to fresh veggies, make sure to stock up on frozen ones to store in the freezer for a longer-lasting and cheaper alternative. 

Roasted Veggie Tacos 

These tacos are a delicious and fun vegan alternative to the traditional taco that are full of flavor and spice! They also have a chipotle cashew cream topping and a gluten-free option! 

Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese

This is a great alternative to the boxed stuff that isn’t full of artificial flavors and additives and only takes 30 minutes to make! 

Veggie Wraps

These veggie wraps are a delicious and easy meal that you can make ahead and grab to take with you on the go! You can use your favorite type of wrap (gluten-free, whole wheat, spinach) and mix and match your fillings with other veggies and grains. 

Roasted Chickpeas

This is one of my absolute favorite recipes to have on hand for a snack, an easy side or a great salad topping.

3 Ingredient Nice Cream 

3 ingredient recipes like this one are a great staple for any college student, especially those with a sweet tooth. This healthier recipe is a great option for late-night cravings that only takes a few minutes to make, and can be made as a single serving or stored in the freezer to share with friends.  

No Bake Giant Cookie

This is a great recipe to have, especially if you don’t have access to an oven. These no-bake cookies can be used as a sweet breakfast, a nutritious snack or a protein-packed dessert. 

In addition to these recipes, some great snack items to also keep on hand are dark chocolate, hummus, rice cakes, nut butter, and dairy-free yogurt or milk. I definitely suggest checking out different Pinterest boards or Instagram food accounts (shameless plug) for new recipes and inspiration. Happy cooking! 

Meg Cardi

Fordham '22

Meg is an Anthropology major part of the Social Work program at Fordham who has a passion for all things regarding sustainability, fashion and food!