The Do’s and Don’ts of Study Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Lucky you!  You have just started what will surely be one of the best experiences of your life – you are studying abroad!  Likely you have been there a few weeks already and now that the nostalgia is starting to wear off, here is some advice to make the most of your all-too short time abroad.

Spend as much time getting to know your host city – 

One of the best parts about my time abroad was that my program was in a smaller, less-touristy city.  This was great because it was easy to see all there was to see and not be tempted to speak English as much (which I will get to more below!).  Some of my favorite memories include spending hours sitting outside at adorable French cafes, discovering little boutiques, and just walking around the beautiful cobble-stone streets.  If you spend all your time inside Skyping friends back home or catching up on your favorite television shows, you will miss out on the opportunity to truly call your host city your second home.

Somewhat contradictory, but travel as much as you can – 

It will likely never again be this easy or cheap to travel around the country or continent where you are studying.  I was able to travel to three other countries, in addition to my host country of France, during my year abroad.  Not only was it an amazing experience to see the sights in other exciting European countries, but traveling alone at a young age is a great opportunity.  It might seem daunting at first to plan a whole vacation and hop on a plane without your parents, but you will become so much more confident after doing so.  I still can’t believe that my friends and I took on this challenging task at the young ages of 16 and 17.  Now whenever I am home in the U.S. and encounter something that seems scary, I know that I can handle almost anything.

Go outside your comfort zone – 

Try new restaurants – don’t just stick to the American foods you know.  Shop at small boutiques instead of chain stores.  Speak the foreign language even when with your American friends.  The whole point of studying abroad to be immersed in the foreign culture and you will not be able to succeed in this goal unless you let yourself.  You can only get as much out of studying abroad as you put into it.

Make an effort to remember your time abroad – 

Unfortunately, you will be back in America as soon as you know it, and all you’ll have left of your time abroad will be precious memories.  It is your duty to take as many pictures as you can – even of things you might not think of!  I took pictures of my room abroad so that whenever I miss it, I can feel as if I am back.  Another great thing to have is a travel journal, because you can write down little things that you did.  That way you can find that amazing little restaurant off the beaten road next time you are back in a city!  Some travel journals even have places to hold momentos, such as train tickets or business cards from restaurants, which add a great contrast to photos.