Campus Couture: Nana Anabel Brenyah, FCRH ’12

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Meet your Fordham Fashionista of the Week!

Name: Nana Anabel Brenyah

Major: International Studies and African-American Studies

Hometown: Bronx, NY

What are some of your hobbies & interests? Well, I love working on social issues related to black community! Right now, I am working on a project for the summer that helps lift the image of Africa and its women! I am trying to get funding to work with young girls in four African countries by encouraging them to get involved in the arts.nI’ll be focusing specifically on their writing skills and their creativity! Through this project, they will be able to express themselves through the arts, creating their own contests! I’ll also be conducting research on what African beauty is and what it means to them. I want them to take care of themselves as young women, so I will also do some research  on the effects of skin bleaching and other concepts that they should know to keep themselves safe and healthy!

How do you describe your style? My style depends a lot on my mood. I’m inspired by general trends and then I mix it up based on what I feel suits my body! I always try to stay classy. I’m more of a renaissance woman who will try different things to see what looks good, but also dress to draw attention as well! I love being inspired by past fashion trends. There is something about mixing old and new that makes it wonderful, sexy, and fashionable!

What are her favorite places to shop & her favorite designers? I love H&M, Zara, Urban Outfitters, Asos, Nasty Gal, and vintage shops. I’m not a big fan of labels and I’d say my favorite fashion designer is Diane von Furstenberg. 

If you could only choose to wear one accessory every day, what accessory would you choose? Bangles!

What tips do you have for Fordham students who want to change up their style? Wear things that compliment your body shape! Every girl should have a silhouette outfit in their wardrobe. Also, mixing old pieces and new pieces is fun to do and brings out your unique style!

What celebrities’ style do you admire? I admire Iman, Alicia Keys, and Rihanna. They inspire me on a daily basis to mix up their unique styles into my own wardrobe. I love Iman’s sophisticated style, Alicia Keys’s sexy style, and Rihanna’s fun style! They all mix up their wardrobes so well and provide inspiration for me to dress up daily.

What’s your fashion motto? Sophistication and simplicity is key!

How do you plan to carry over your style to the spring? In the spring, I am inspired by nature and its beauty! I like bringing out brighter colors and denim in my wardrobe when it gets warmer.

Sarah is a member of the Class of 2013 at Fordham University, where she's a double-major in American Studies and Communication & Media Studies. A South Florida native, she is still adjusting to the cold and figuring out the basics of a winter wardrobe. A huge sports fan, Sarah watches way too much Sportscenter and compensates by watching copious amounts of E!, Gilmore Girls, and Pretty Little Liars. When she's not watching movies or staring at a television screen, she also enjoys blogging, photography, fashion, reading, and bring Pinterest pins to life. Follow her on Twitter @sari_ramirez.