Campus Celebrity: Morgan Vazquez

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

HerCampus Fordham would like to formally announce the endorsement of Morgan Vazquez for President of the United States 2038. Trust us… it’s best to place bets on this girl early- there’s no safer gamble. Morgan has one of the most incredible work ethics, and it manifests in all the dedication that she puts into every single one of her activities. She is a devoted employee of JPMorgan Chase, a diligent student, and an all-around go-getter. Morgan is definitely one of the brightest stars shining at Fordham, so don’t forget her name…she’ll probably be running the country one day. 

Where are you from?
Staten Island, New York

What year are you?
Sophomore – FCRH ‘13

What is your major?
Communication & Media Studies (with a double minor in sociology and economics)

What activities are you involved in?
Fordham Nightly News (Monday night sports anchor), Fordham Orchestra (violin), Secretary of Fordham’s Jewish Student Organization, member of Fordham’s Communication Honor Society (Lambda Pi Eta!) and JPMorgan Chase “Smart Start” Intern.

Favorite Movie: Black Swan
Favorite Band/Musician: Adele (love her!)
Favorite Book: Eat, Pray, Love(by: Elizabeth Gilbert)
Favorite TV Shows: Jersey Shore &Grey’s Anatomy

How did you decide to come to Fordham?
Although I knew that I wanted to live away from home, I didn’t want to be too far away. Before I made my final decision, I applied for the JPMorgan Chase Smart Start scholarship and saw that Fordham was one of the universities I could attend if I was awarded the scholarship. I applied to Fordham and took the 40-minute trip from Staten Island to check out what Fordham had to offer. As soon as I stepped onto campus, I knew it was where I wanted to spend the next 4 years of my life – almost 2 years later, I am certain that I made the right choice!

Can you explain your relationship with JPMorgan Chase?
As I already mentioned, I am a JPMorgan Chase “Smart Start” intern and scholarship recipient. Each year, JPMorgan Chase chooses ten graduating high school seniors within New York City and provides us with a four-year paid internship along and a full-tuition scholarship to one of twelve participating NYC colleges and universities. The firm provides us with specific work assignments and on-the-job training usually given to full-time analysts. My freshman year I worked in Finance Management for Global Technology, and now I am currently working in the Corporate Communications department for the global work-life solutions development team. For my next rotation, which begins in June, I will be moving into Corporate Development Recruiting, and I am really looking forward to it. The opportunities of this program are incredible and allows us to work at one of the most financial firms in the world while obtaining an education at some of the most prestigious universities, including Fordham, Columbia and NYU. Although working 50+ hours per week in the summer and 20-25 hours during the school year may seem tough at times, I wouldn’t trade this opportunity for anything!

Do you have any tips for students who are trying to balance schoolwork, extracurricular activities, and other obligations like internships?
The one piece of advice I can give to students is make a schedule, and stick to it! Although it is hard to always plan ahead, life is much more organized when we arrange our days based around what we need to get done. I personally would be lost without my daily schedule, and I advise all students to take five-ten minutes every night to organize their plans for the next day (trust me, it helps!) Be realistic when making your schedule… we know it takes more than 10 minutes to do economics homework or write an English paper. Oh, one last thing – don’t forget that school comes first! While it’s certainly important to have a social life and be part of activities you enjoy, remember that the primary reason we are here is to get the wonderful education Fordham offers.

What’s your favorite thing about NYC?
Everything…especially the hustle and bustle of the “city that never sleeps.” As a native “New Yorker,” I love the fast paced, cosmopolitan environment because there is so much to do and you can never get bored.

What’s your least favorite thing about NYC?
Although I can’t complain about much in NYC, my least favorite thing would have to be the smelly subways when it’s hot out! I take the subway at least four times a week, and especially in the summer, whoa!

Do you have a favorite Fordham memory?
My favorite memory is definitely Fordham’s New Student Orientation because the entire three days of orientation literally felt like one huge party. I didn’t have to worry about school and I could really enjoy myself while getting aquatinted with Fordham. I met so many amazing people and made so many great friends during orientation – I loved every minute of it!

Do you have a favorite NYC memory?
I have SO many great memories of NYC but if I had to pick one, it would be the time I performed in an off-Broadway play. I was very involved in acting when I was younger and when I was in 3rd grade, I played a lead role in the play “One Happy Marriage and Other War Stories.” The play was performed at the Chernuchin theater, and to this day, I still remember what an amazing experience it was.

Where’s your favorite spot on campus?
During the springtime, Eddies of course! But, when it’s cold outside, I love to get cozy in my room while I sip on some hot chocolate.

If you could give one piece of advice to an incoming Fordham freshman, what would it be?
Get involved. Yes, maintaining excellent grades is an important part of college, but grades aren’t all that matter. There are so many opportunities to get involved on campus, so join the clubs that interests you to make the most of your college career.

What is your dream job?
My dream job would be to someday become anchor of the CBS Evening News. I watch the CBS Evening News as often as I can, and continuously envision myself sitting in the anchor chair of one of the most prominent Evening News programs in the nation.

What’s on your NYC bucket list?
I lived in one of NYC’s five boroughs (even if it’s the forgotten one!) all my life, so I have experienced so much of what NYC has to offer. However, the one major thing on my NYC bucket list is to spend New Year’s Eve in Times Square!

What do you think the best part of a Jesuit education is?
The idea of the Ignatian philosophy of cura personalis, which translates to caring for the whole person, emphasizes individualized attention to the need of others and a distinct respect for both our potential and ourselves.

What’s one thing everyone would be surprised to learn about you?
Although I seem like a very spontaneous person because of my outgoing personality, I always try to think before I act. I don’t like jumping into situations without recognizing possible consequences, and therefore, I am very cautious before diving head first into a sketchy situation.

Pick one!

Bronx Zoo or Botanical Gardens? Botanical Gardens
Arthur Ave or Fordham Road? That’s a tough one – for eating, definitely Arthur Ave but for shopping, Fordham Road!
Cafeteria or Grille? Luckily, I live in Walsh so I can cook my own meals, but if I had to pick, it would be the Grille.
Conway or Dr. Jay’s? Conway
RamVan or Subway?Ram Van
Duane Reade or Walgreens? Walgreens
Met or MoMA?MoMA
Hot Dog or Bagel? Bagel
Broadway or Off-Broadway?Of course, Broadway!
Radio City or Madison Square Garden? Radio City
Central Park or Brooklyn Bridge?Central Park 

Claire Cumberland is a sophomore at Fordham University in the Bronx. A communications major, she doesn’t have a singular idea about what she wants to do with her life, but hopes to dabble in many different things before stumbling upon her dream job. She enjoys reading, writing, walking her dog Scout, going to thrift stores, watching television, painting her nails, getting internships, online shopping, and color coding things. Claire has interned at Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation, a charity for childhood cancer established in her hometown of Philadelphia, PA. She also interned at Sesame Workshop as a production intern for The Electric Company, a popular show on PBS. Claire is currently involved in Global Outreach at Fordham University and is an anchor for Fordham Nightly News.