Campus Celebrity: Ann Pierret

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Remember in freshman year when you slowly and timidly dipped your toes into the vast pond of Fordham activities and clubs? Ann Pierret has a different approach- the cannonball. She’s already conquered some of the biggest trials of freshman year – including making the transition from Texas to New York City. She’s involved in some of the biggest clubs on campus, and dedicates herself fully to each one. Meet our first freshman Campus Celebrity who’s already hit the ground running. Keep your eyes on this freshman – but wear sunglasses, because her future is extra bright!

Where are you from? Arlington, Texas

What year are you? FCRH 2014

What is your major? Communications & Media Studies with an emphasis in Radio, TV, Film

What activities are you involved in? Fordham Nightly News Co-anchor (Thursdays) & Weather (Monday), Assistant producer (next semester), CAB G-board, Lector, Eucharistic Minister, and Student liturgical coordinator (in training) for Mass, CLC, GO! Nashville

Favorite movie: Life is Beautiful, Stand By Me

Favorite band/musician: I’m not picking just one… I’d have to say the Zac Brown Band, Darius Rucker, Alanis Morrisette, Natasha Beddingfield, & Michelle Branch

Favorite book: The Kite Runner

Favorite TV show: Modern Family

How did you decide to come to Fordham? The whole college process was such a blur. My brother and sister both go/went to Jesuit universities up here, so I got a lot of mail from northeast Jesuit schools, and I guess it just went from there. I knew that I wanted to go school somewhat in the northeast so I could be close to my siblings, and it had to be close to a big city and Catholic. I guess Fordham just fit! I also got that feeling when I stepped on to the campus. I turned to my mom, smiled, and was like, “Yep, this is it!”

What’s the biggest difference you’ve noticed between Texas and New York? Weather & attitude of the people

Do you have any tips for students who are trying to balance schoolwork, extracurriculars, and internships? Party harder, but never forget “The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams” –Eleanor Roosevelt

What’s your favorite thing about NY? The countless opportunities.

What’s your least favorite thing about NY? The fact that there is truly no such thing as spring.

Do you have a favorite Fordham memory? My dorm had a program called the Turkey Bowl in November. We had a big football tournament between the halls. It was the perfect day, and just plain hilarious.

Do you have a favorite NYC memory? My friend & I went and saw YouTube sensation, MirandaSings one night! It was a spur of the moment kind of night!!

In your opinion, what’s the one essential item every Fordham girl needs in her wardrobe? Some type of boots! Also, a crazy, funky, fun outfit that makes you feel weird and spontaneous, and a little self-conscious but you know you look great so who cares?! Sometimes you have to bring the life of the party.

What’s your favorite class you’ve taken at Fordham? Intro to Communications & Media Studies

What’s your least favorite class you’ve taken at Fordham? Astronomy

Where’s your favorite spot on campus? FNN or my bed.

If you could give one piece of advice to an incoming Fordham freshman, what would it be? Get involved!! You will meet so many different people and really find yourself in it all.

What’s been the best part of being a freshman at Fordham? Getting lost, being homesick, trying to make friends, and all of the papers my professors assign at the exact same time.

What’s your dream job? Anchor on Good Morning America.

What’s on your NYC bucket list? Way too much… the Brooklyn Bridge, the MoMA, Coney Island, eating at Serendipity and every other restaurant, running into a celebrity on the streets, etc.

What do you think the best part of a Jesuit education is? Living with the Jesuit Scholars, like Todd [Keough]…and I guess the core is pretty beneficial.

Who is your favorite professor at Fordham? Minna Aslama [learn more about one of our favorite Fordham professors here!].

Pick one!

Bronx Zoo or Botanical Gardens? Haven’t been to the zoo yet, so I’d have to say the Botans- but I do love following my girl Mia the cobra on Twitter!
Arthur Ave/Fordham Road? Arthur Ave! It’s not uphill!
Cafeteria or Grille? Well, what a good question these days. I love(d) the Grille salads, but I do enjoy seeing everyone at the Caf!
Conway or Dr. Jay’s? Whichever one is having a sale
RamVan or Subway? Subway…I tend to hurl on my friends during long car rides
Duane Reade or WalGreen’s? Walgreens, we have a history
Met or MoMA? Met, because yes I have yet to venture to the MoMA
Hot Dog or Bagel? Bagel! I’ve fallen in love with this crazy NY sensation.
Broadway or Off-Broadway? Broadway! I feel super snazzy attending a show!
Radio City or Madison Square Garden? I don’t approve of this question!! I can’t decide!

Claire Cumberland is a sophomore at Fordham University in the Bronx. A communications major, she doesn’t have a singular idea about what she wants to do with her life, but hopes to dabble in many different things before stumbling upon her dream job. She enjoys reading, writing, walking her dog Scout, going to thrift stores, watching television, painting her nails, getting internships, online shopping, and color coding things. Claire has interned at Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation, a charity for childhood cancer established in her hometown of Philadelphia, PA. She also interned at Sesame Workshop as a production intern for The Electric Company, a popular show on PBS. Claire is currently involved in Global Outreach at Fordham University and is an anchor for Fordham Nightly News.