Culture > News

California Wildfires: What You Should Know About Climate Change

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Throughout the past ten years, climate change has become a very hot topic. It is regularly discussed on the news and by various political figures. However, it seems like it is always put on the back burner when it comes time to do anything about it. For the sake of our earth, things need to change. Northern California is currently experiencing some of the worst wildfires in history. Millions of California residents are being suffocated by toxins in the air. Over 3.2 million acres have been burned just from the beginning of 2020. More than 100,000 residents are being evacuated because of the deadly fires. While some of these fires have started due to human ignorance, climate change is also a critical factor.

Not only has California endured a record-breaking heatwave, but there has also been an abnormal amount of lightning storms. These two weather disasters are only adding to the list of what causes these fires. According to climate scientists, humans burning things such as coal, oil, and fossil fuels release greenhouse gases that cause higher temperatures. Because California has so much vegetation that becomes dried out from the high temperatures and regular droughts, one forest fire can end up burning thousands of acres. Not only do these fires cause destruction and air pollution, but they can also cause deadly chemicals to leak into the resident’s drinking water. The runoff from houses that have been on fire can deposit hazardous chemicals in the groundwater. While many may not realize, these chemicals can stay inside water reservoirs for months after the fires have ended. This just shows that even if all the fires are put out, their effects are very much long term. On top of that, these fires accelerate climate change due to their CO2 emissions. California is trapped in a perilous cycle.

As a country, we need to make some significant changes in the ways we are dealing (or not dealing) with the impacts of climate change and take a closer look at what we are doing to cause it. While we still have the chance to fight back against climate change, we are running out of time. This past week, President Trump attended a briefing in California along with other officials. When asked about Climate change in these disastrous fires, Trump responded by saying that he knows California will get cooler. He also claimed that scientists do not know what they are talking about. The 2020 election is in less than 50 days. We need to decide if we want a president who inaccurately dismisses climate change and science or one that plans to address it head-on.

There are also some other ways that we can combat climate change year-round. 

This includes:

Here are some other links to help those impacted in the California Wildfires: redcross, calfund, hsvc, salvation army, donate

Hey everyone! I'm a senior majoring in marketing at Fordham. I hope you enjoy my articles!!