Always in Vogue: Ellen Hoffman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

If you’re a typical, fashion-obsessed collegiette™ like myself, chances are you’ve noticed Ellen Hoffman on campus. She’s the embodiment of being pulled-together, both in her clothing and her life. With various challenging and enriching internships under her designer belt, Ellen exudes professionalism and elegance. There’s certainly a bright and stylish future for this collegiette™. Keep your eyes on your magazines, because you’re sure to find Ellen Hoffman’s name soon. 

Where are you from? Toms River, NJ

What year are you? Junior

What is your major? History major; Economics minor

What activities are you involved in? Until this semester I served on my class senate in USG. I had to resign my position for my current internship which was bittersweet. I’ve dabbled in other clubs on campus but I’m more of an internship person; I’ve interned with the New York City Council and Good Housekeeping until ending up at Vogue this spring.

Favorite movie:I’m a movie buff so this is tough, I like smart films that evoke emotion and make you think. I love the classics though; Gone With the Wind and Casablanca are two of my favorites. And anything Alfred Hitckcock.

Favorite band/musician: Since I just went to their concert this past weekend I’m going to say The Wanted because they were fantastic. The Goo Goo Dolls are pretty high up on my list too.

Favorite book: Whenever I get asked this question I always say The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas. But you should definitely check out anything by Erik Larson or Augusten Burroughs. I also love historical fiction and nonfiction – but that makes sense since I’m a history major!

Favorite TV show:I feel guilty admitting how many TV shows I follow. But I just watched all of “Downton Abbey” over winter break and it’s awesome! I’m also really excited for the upcoming season of “Mad Men”! And for the extreme guilty pleasure…”Dance Moms.” My roommate and I can’t stop watching, it’s such a train wreck.

How did you decide to come to Fordham? Funny enough, it was the Jesuits that got me. I don’t know how many people actually come for that reason but it seemed cool to a public school kid like me. I was really picky with schools; Fordham was one of two colleges I ended up applying to. Thankfully I got waitlisted at the other.

Do you have any tips for students who are trying to balance schoolwork, extracurriculars, and other obligations like internships? I mean, it’s tough. Right now I’m working 10-12 hour days at Vogue three days a week and taking a full academic course load. You need to know what you can handle, mentally and physically. For me it’s about keeping my sanity… so I would say that what helps me most is making time for myself to relax (and nap!) One thing that I cannot stress enough, especially regarding anything related to fashion and publishing, is to be prepared to work hard and to work long hours. It’s totally rewarding but it also comes with some compromise. And if anyone has any questions or wants to talk about internship stuff like this, I’m really open to helping anyone out with that.

Tell us a little bit about your internship! What’s it like to work for Vogue? I feel silly quoting The Devil Wears Prada that “it’s a job a million girls would kill for”…but it is! I’m still baffled that they hired me. There is no typical day at Vogue. It’s probably the most unique internship experience I have had to date. I have the amazing opportunity to work with some of the biggest names in the fashion industry and learn from them! You can’t get much better than that. I help with the upkeep of the fashion closet, assist with photo shoots, and basically help my editors with anything they need for upcoming stories. And the clothes! THE CLOTHES. The shoes. The bags. The jewelry. Seeing one-of-a-kind Oscar de la Renta, Rodarte, Nina Ricci, Balmain, Alexander McQueen…in person…is just too cool for words. The eye-candy at GQ isn’t bad either.

What’s your favorite thing about NY? This is probably predictable, but New York is irresistible for a fashion-enthusiast like me. I’m a people watcher and I love to observe other people’s individual style. There’s a great documentary that came out in 2011 called Bill Cunningham New York about street fashion in NYC that I’m in love with right now.

What’s your least favorite thing about NY? There’s nothing worse than a rainy day in the city, it’s just miserable. Especially when so many people rely on walking to their destinations. Slow walkers or tourists that stop in the middle of the street aren’t my favorite either but I can forgive them.

Do you have a favorite Fordham memory? Well two of my roommates are abroad right now and I miss them! Every Friday night last semester we had dinner together with some friends and it was really cute and a great way to start every weekend! We’d alternate cooking or coordinate dishes.

Do you have a favorite NYC memory? I don’t know if this is my favorite memory but it’s a pretty cool story. I went to see a play in Brooklyn last January with two of my friends. The Ibsen play was called John Gabriel Borkman and it starred Alan Rickman and Fiona Shaw. We got front row tickets and were super excited for the Sunday matinee performance. When we got there we realized we were surrounded by celebrities and some kind of event was going on. I ended up having a brief conversation with Daniel Radcliffe, I met Hugh Jackman, and I met my favorite actor, Ralph Fiennes.

What’s your favorite class you’ve taken at Fordham? My theology professor, Reg Kim, was probably the most engaging professor I’ve had here. I have never learned more at Fordham than in those two theology classes. Hands down the two best I’ve taken. 

What’s your least favorite class you’ve taken at Fordham? My first semester I took Chemistry and Biology, and both had really long labs. Do I need to say anymore?

Can you tell us a little bit about your independent study? This is pretty cool. I don’t think everyone knows that you can do this, but students can register for an independent study as a way to receive credit for internships or research. I did this for both the fall and spring semesters. You basically get whatever you want out of these classes. For example, I have been able to incorporate academic components into my internships. This semester I am using a women’s history class to develop a deeper understanding of the changes in the fashion industry over the past 150 years – which is a perfect way to tie in Vogue (the magazine was first published in 1892!) Ideally I’d like to turn this into an undergraduate research project.

Where’s your favorite spot on campus? My room because I can be a homebody at times. Haha, I’m kidding. My favorite spot is actually the path to the administration building overlooking Keating. The springtime is gorgeous when all of the tulips bloom and it easily brightens my mood.  

If you could give one piece of advice to an incoming Fordham freshman, what would it be? I was really apprehensive coming to college. I was excited too, of course, but it can be an intimidating environment in the beginning. Freshman, even if not the most outgoing, should really push themselves to get to know people and get to know the city! Everyone tells us that these 4 years will fly by and they certainly do!!

What’s your dream job? Hmm, tough question. I think it’s fairly likely I’ll end up working in the fashion industry, I’m just unsure where I will end up. If I were speaking super ambitiously, I want Anna Wintour’s job.

What’s on your NYC bucket list? Coney Island, 5 boroughs…1 day, Shopping and Champagne at Bergdorf’s, and NY Fashion Week (if only!)

What do you think the best part of a Jesuit education is? The Jesuits. Everyone should take at least one Jesuit professor.

Who is your favorite professor at Fordham? This is a no-brainer. Dr. Eileen Burchell in the Provost’s Office is just the kindest, most welcoming person at Fordham. She cares for her students in a way that is utterly sincere and deeply moving. I consider her more than just a professor but also my friend and mentor. 

What’s one thing everyone would be surprised to learn about you? Well, I think everyone knows about my monstrous coat collection…but people would be surprised to know that I actually repeat outfits much more than everyone realizes. I’m just very strategic about it and make sure that I see different people if I’m going to repeat an outfit more than once per week. I also have an insanely good memory and try not to freak people out with minor details I remember about them – I often pretend to forget so that I don’t seem weird for knowing. To end on a good note…I’m also a really good cook!

Pick one!
Bronx Zoo or Botanical Gardens? Botanical Gardens
Arthur Ave/Fordham Road? I’m Italian, so definitely Arthur Avenue.
Cafeteria or Grille? My kitchen
Conway or Dr. Jay’s? Is it sad I haven’t been to either one?
RamVan or Subway? Subway for time constraints, RamVan for comfort and convenience.
Duane Reade or WalGreen’s? WalGreen’s. Where is the Duane Reade?
Met or MoMA? Met (Elsa Schiaparelli and Miuccia Prada are being featured for this year’s Costume Institute Exhibition!)

Hot Dog or Bagel? Bagel!
Broadway or Off-Broadway? Broadway (but everyone should check out the Brooklyn Academy of Music at some point!)
Radio City or Madison Square Garden? Well, the Rockettes are cool.
Central Park or Brooklyn Bridge? Definitely Central Park. 

Claire Cumberland is a sophomore at Fordham University in the Bronx. A communications major, she doesn’t have a singular idea about what she wants to do with her life, but hopes to dabble in many different things before stumbling upon her dream job. She enjoys reading, writing, walking her dog Scout, going to thrift stores, watching television, painting her nails, getting internships, online shopping, and color coding things. Claire has interned at Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation, a charity for childhood cancer established in her hometown of Philadelphia, PA. She also interned at Sesame Workshop as a production intern for The Electric Company, a popular show on PBS. Claire is currently involved in Global Outreach at Fordham University and is an anchor for Fordham Nightly News.