books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

5 Tips for More Productive Study Breaks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Breaks are underratedly important. With the almost-comically-impossible amount of things we have to do these days, they’re more important than ever. What’s just as important as making sure to take breaks, though, is what you’re doing on those breaks. Here are some ways to make sure you’re getting the most out of the (minimal) breaks you have time for.

1. Get out of the chair

Getting your blood flowing is important to feel refreshed after a break. You’ve been sitting in that library chair for longer than you’d like to admit to yourself, so take a few minutes and stretch out your legs. Your brain may need a break, but your body also needs a break from being seated for so long. Bonus points if you walk outside, some fresh air will do wonders for your focus and your patience.

2. Talk to someone

A good way to feel refreshed is human interaction. You’ve probably been secluded in a study lounge corner with your headphones in for a few hours at this point. Human beings are much better company than your textbooks. Have a quick conversation about something non-academic with a friend. You’ll feel much better with some distance from your work.

3. Eat a snack

So you’re at the end of a long stretch of a biology project – and you look up from your textbook for long enough to realize all you’ve consumed today is coffee. Now would be a great time to grab a quick bite. Maybe try to go for something healthy, like grapes or a banana. Don’t worry though, no one is going to judge you if you go for the chocolate bar. The library is a stressful place. Oh, and don’t forget the water.

4. Stay away from screens

You’ve been staring at your laptop writing that history paper for the past two hours. If you’re going to give your brain a break, you might as well give your eyes one too. Staring at computers and phones for extended periods of time is likely to give you headaches. Aside from that, we all know that “ten minute break to check Instagram” is absolutely going to turn into “I’ve been on instagram for forty five minutes and somehow ended up on my ex-boyfriend’s new girlfriend’s sister’s best friend’s page”. Let’s avoid that.

5. Keep your breaks scheduled

Write yourself a schedule, and stick to it. This is great for people who work best on a reward system – every time you finish a chapter or write a page, you get a break. Sticking to a schedule will ensure that you get enough breaks and that those breaks won’t turn into hour-long procrastination sessions, which is key if you ever want to get anything done.

Jacquelyn Kozak is a junior at Fordham University studying English and Visual Arts. She enjoys long walks through the zoo and looking at viral videos of dogs, and is allergic to her own cats.