5 Holiday Drinks You Need In Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

There’s nothing like a fun, seasonal drink to get into the spirit of the holidays! Here are five awesome drink ideas for your holiday party.

Martha Stewart’s Peppermint Hot Chocolate (serves 4!)

Ingredients:

• 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 quart milk
  • 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (3 ounces)
  • 7 peppermint sticks; 3 crushed (1/4 cup), 4 left whole
  • Pinch of salt

Directions:

1. Place cocoa in a medium saucepan. Gradually whisk in milk until cocoa has dissolved.
  2. Add chocolate chips and crushed peppermint; simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until chocolate and peppermint have melted, 8 to 10 minutes.
  3. Bring to a boil and immediately remove from heat. Add salt. Ladle into mugs; serve each with a peppermint stick.

Holiday Punch (serves 32!)

Ingredients:

• 1/3 cup white sugar
  • 1 quart cranberry juice
  • 2 cups unsweetened pineapple juice
  • 3 tablespoons almond extract
  • 1 (2 liter) bottle ginger ale

Directions:

1. In a large container, mix together sugar, cranberry juice, pineapple juice and almond extract. Refrigerate for 1 day.
  2. To serve, pour juice mixture into a punch bowl. Stir in ginger ale.

Candy Cane Milkshake (serves 1!)

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese
  • 1 scoop plain or vanilla protein powder
  • 2-5 drops peppermint extract (or to taste)
  • 2-3 packets Stevia or sweetener of choice (or to taste)
  • 1 tbs sugar free instant vanilla pudding mix (dry)
  • 5-10 ice cubes (more or less depending on how thick you like it)
  • 4-6 oz cold water (more or less depending on desired thickness)
  • 5-10 (or a few drops) of red food coloring for candy cane swirl

Directions:

1. Place all of the ingredients (except for the food coloring) in the blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
  2. Swirl in one drop of red food coloring just before serving, and top with whipped cream and crushed candy cane if desired.

Classic Eggnog (Alcoholic! Just nix the rum if you want a non-alcoholic beverage. Serves 1!)

Ingredients:

• 1 large grade AA egg, separated
  • 2 tsp superfine sugar
  • 1 oz heavy cream
  • 1/2 tsp pure almond extract
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 oz Mount Gay rum
  • Dashes of grated cinnamon and nutmeg for garnish

Directions:

1. Separate the egg into two bowls.
  2. Beat the yolk until stiff.
  3. Beat the white with 1 tsp. sugar until peaks form.
  4. Slowly fold the white and yolk together.
  5. Separately, beat the cream with the almond, vanilla, and 1 tsp. sugar in a bowl until stiff.
  6. Fold in the cream with the egg mixture.
  7. Add Mt. Gay and stir gently.
  8. Refrigerate overnight, or serve immediately over ice in a punch glass or martini glass.
  9. Garnish with grated nutmeg and cinnamon.
Christmas Cookie Cocktail (Alcohlic! Serves 1.)

Ingredients:

• 1 ounce peppermint schnapps
  • 1 ounce Kahlua
  • 1 ounce Carolan’s Irish Cream

Directions:

1. Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Pour in all three ingredients. Shake thoroughly until chilled, then strain the mixture into the glassware of your choice.

Sources:

Ashley is currently a student at Fordham University who's double majoring in English and Philosophy, and minoring in Business Administration. Her hometown is Northport, New York (Long Island represent!!). On campus, a few out of many things she's involved in are Let's Get Ready, the Philosopher's Society, FUEMS, Autism Speaks U, Colleges Against Cancer, and writes for both Her Campus and the Fordham Ram. She loves her job working with special needs individuals in a therapeutic horseback riding program (https://www.facebook.com/dreambigtherapeutic), playing the piano, the entirety of the Christmas season, her dog, and the Pittsburgh Steelers. Recently, she's binge-watched Game of Thrones and Archer. Ashley is super excited to be writing for Her Campus!! Follow her on Instagram (@ashkatusaa) or Twitter (@ashiisaurr) for occasional witty comments.