12 Things I Learned at New York Comic Con

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Although I’m a huge pop culture nerd, I had never had the chance to attend NYCC until this year. Here are 12 things I learned as a comic con newbie:

1. Get there early.

If you are interested in seeing a Main Stage panel, the doors open to get in line at 8 a.m., but you should be outside by 5:30 a.m. to secure your spot. Otherwise, the show floor opens at 10 — and the exclusives and free stuff go fast!

2. Download the app.

The scheduling part of the app allows you to always know where you are supposed to be — you can set it to remind you before each panel you want to see.

3. Come prepared.

Bring a backpack to carry your money, cell phone charger, a sweater or sweatshirt, and an extra bag to hold all the swag you’ll be collecting throughout the day.

4. Wear comfortable shoes.

This cannot be overstated! Though the Javits center isn’t that big, you’ll be on your feet the whole day. I averaged about 20,000 steps each day, or about nine miles of walking!

5. You can (and should) bring your own food.

Don’t want to pay $15 for a sandwich? Pack your own! Don’t forget to bring a refillable water bottle to stay hydrated so you don’t have to spend $5 on a drink. Save your money for the show floor or Artist Alley.

6. You will be waiting – a lot.

Especially for the more popular panels, people line up really early, or will even sit through a few panels before the one they want to see, especially in the case of the Empire Stage. Take the opportunity to make friends with the people nearby. They’re interested in the same panel you are, so you already have one thing in common!

7. Go to as many panels as possible.

Featuring artists, celebrity guests, advance screenings, and more, panels are one of the best parts of NYCC. I got to see several screenings of TV shows (including Once Upon a Time and the new X-Files), Q&As with Seth Meyers and Sean Bean, and a super inspiring all-female panel on comic book girls. Even if you aren’t super interested in the subject, try to go to at least a few panels, especially the smaller ones. All of the panels have something to offer and are filled with interesting, passionate people.

8. Overwhelmed? Check out the quiet room.

There’s a quiet room downstairs where you can take a break away from the huge crowds. They even had a bunch of cell phone charging stations, too.

9. Artist Alley is NOT the same thing as the show floor.

It took me two days to figure it out, but I learned that Artist Alley is in a whole separate room from the show floor. Be sure to stop by and meet your favorite artists! I bought a new issue of one of my favorite comics and even got it signed!

10. The women’s bathroom lines are insane.

I waited for over 30 minutes in line several times. It’s annoying, but while you’re stuck there, the bathroom line is a great place to meet people. “Can you believe this line?” is one of the easiest conversation starters ever.

11. Make new friends.

NYCC is a great place to meet other people who like the same things as you! Everyone I met was super friendly, and I had some really great conversations with other fans.

12. Keep your eyes peeled for celebs.

Both Jared Leto and Mark Ruffalo attended this year in costume. You never know who you might see!

Ready for next year? NYCC 2016 will be October 6 – 9, 2016.

Hannah is a Fordham University junior from Massachusetts studying Psychology, Communications, and Women's Studies. As an aspiring TV writer, she spends most of her time watching, writing, and talking about TV. Her favorite shows include The X-Files, Scrubs, and Orange is the New Black.