You Know You’re a Shopaholic When…..

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Too often as college student’s mothers, fathers, and friends are consistently concerned with their loved ones finances. Now not only are women in college looking at high priced books but also at long receipts from Victoria’s Secret, Nordstrom, and Steve Madden. It is one thing to go on an impulsive buy here and there, but at what point is your shopping habit no longer a habit but rather an addiction. Here are some ways to identify yourself as a shopaholic…

If money can not stay in your wallet:

You’re a shopaholic if the moment you take out money from the ATM you find yourself spending it even though you know it should be going directly to your savings account and not into a pricey pair of shoes.

You buy things that have no immediate use:

Everyone goes out and buys unnecessary things every now and then but if most of your purchases are “just because”, chances are that you REALLY are a shopaholic!

You get a sense of relief every time you shop:

If after a breakup, or a low test grade the first thing you think to do is shop, then yes indeed you are a shopaholic. You may be feeling a short sense of relief the instant you buy that naked makeup palette, but over time the brain releases dopamine and that feeling you had will start becoming more addictive and your bank account will be affected!

You start secretly hanging up your clothes in your closet:

Showing off your clothes to your mom used to be one of the best parts about bringing home countless bags. When the day you can no longer show your mom what you have been buying because you know she will give you a disappointed look and a lecture about how much money you waste, that is when you know… you are a hopeless shopaholic.

The verdict:

Avoiding maxing out credit cards is not exactly easy in Miami considering the fact that every corner is an overpriced boutique. Do not forget there is a big difference between the occasional shopping spree and feeling compelled to shop, regardless of how much money you actually have to spare. So next time you are at the mall and have a pile of clothing hanging off your arm, take into account do you need it? Or will it be sitting in your closets for weeks with the tag still attached? 

HCxo